free website stats program 96 Sporty Sport 5 Gallon Tank | Harley Davidson Forums

96 Sporty Sport 5 Gallon Tank

Truffle

Hey All,

I have been trolling the site and others all day looking for info on a 5/5.5 tank to put on my sporty (I like the size and extra fuel of the 5/+) but I cant seem to find one every one I have looked at have said they don’t work on the xl1200s so I am pleading to you all to see if anyone has put one on or knows of one that will fix/work on a 96 xl1200s I have been looking at the fat bob style tanks with and without dash mounts.

I suppose if there isn’t one available my last option is the 3.9 or 4 but I would prefer a min of a 5 if anyone has any suggestions.

Truffle

Have you measures the length of these tanks? If you have and they will fit lengthwise you can buy a tank and weld mounts on it to fit your sporty

I'm kinda looking for an option that doesn't require welding, I just want to be able to buy it or order it and install it on my bike after maybe painting it.

Although i have not fitted that size of tank i believe that the reason the larger tanks don't fit some models is that the seat will get in the way of the larger tank so seat may have to be replaced to allow sufficient space for the larger size of tank

Brian

ya i looked at that site none of the tanks there will work on a xl1200s except for the sporty bob tank which is a 4gal

thanks for the lookout though

I'm not particularly attached to my seat as it needs to be replaced as well

The Iron Butt Rally guys put a bolt on custom made tank under the rack area or in the passenger pillion area, or custom made...eh..."bulbous gargantuan ones" that make the bike look like a Paris to Dakar Rally Bike. There was a recent post on the subject 'bout a month ago...may want to do the <search> tab near the top of the HDT web page. Sticky has done a super job making things work here!

thats kinda kewl, I don't think it would look that kewl on a sporty but its a nice option for those long distance runs with others who have bigger tanks.

I was really hoping for a 5 gallon tank but from all of my searching its looking like im just going to have to settle with a 4gal

oh well if anyone finds any info on a 5gal let me know

Thanks

Back