free website stats program 96 FLHR backfire & pop on decel | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

96 FLHR backfire & pop on decel

If you have dual fire now,, single fire may help. You will get rid of the front cylinder firing on it's exhaust stroke which could lead to popping. Especially if your running a fueler.

that's what i'm thinkin. If not i guess the next thing will be somthing else or maybe somthing other than that. Why dose everthang I do have to be so darn complicated?

What happen to the MAGNETTI MARELLI we worked on was the throat got worn so much there was space around rhe butterfly valve that made it untuneable, I've seen that on some older super B's. The older stage 1 downloads were off street use and the new HD stage 1 down loads for newer bikes are street legal but adj. enough for A/C & mild pipes, Thank you EPA.
Hope the new ignition does it, let us know.

I forgot to say in my last post that a lead condition in the decel area of the fuel map can cause popping same as rich condition, and if it's back firing also might be more of a lean, I'll shut up now. Good luck & good hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happen to the MAGNETTI MARELLI we worked on was the throat got worn so much there was space around rhe butterfly valve that made it untuneable, I've seen that on some older super B's. The older stage 1 downloads were off street use and the new HD stage 1 down loads for newer bikes are street legal but adj. enough for A/C & mild pipes, Thank you EPA.
Hope the new ignition does it, let us know.
Thnx for the input chopper, there's most likely a good reason Harley switched to Delphi from Magnetti and you can bet if the new single fire dosn't work out i'll be asking more questions.

What you describe as "backfire" and "popping" could very well be two different problems you have. Lets start with the easier of the two, the popping. First thing, I would remove the fueler device until I stopped all the backfiring and popping from occuring. Make absolutely, positively certain that you do not have a loose muffler clamp on your exhaust pipes. I can't tell you how many times I have had friends reuse their old clamps only to have a popping suddenly appear. I have even seen the muffler clamp in the wrong position by a couple of inches. Don't try to reuse clamps, they stretch. Use a torque wrench when you initially put them on.
Now, on to the "backfire" problem. I would check the ignition timing. Both of your problems are hard to diagnose over the internet but this gives you a pretty good place to start. Good luck.

Back