free website stats program 96 FLHR backfire & pop on decel | Harley Davidson Forums

96 FLHR backfire & pop on decel

My wife rides a 96 FLHR and it has backfired and poped ever since I got it for her. I've put a fuel tuner, Hooker Rebel pipes, and a free flo air cleaner. I've ordered a single fire ignition set up for it and should be in Feb.2 - any thoughts

what tuner does it have? and WHO set it up?

if no leaks found I would go there. MY TFI STOPPED ALL POPPING

signed....BUBBIE
I put a "Total" tuner on it and did it my self. I did a top end on it and checked for intake leaks after. I was told that the ring ends could be lined up letting compression leak by but I know better. That ain't it.

No, Magnetti FI & Total tuner. Hooker staggered rebels, free flow air, stage one ecm download. New top end and no leaks, new timing modual and coil. Ordered a single fire compleat ignition should be here early next week.

If it did it before you changed mufflers & installed the fueler that rules them out, no ex. leaks don't leave much, possable it's the injection system? I've gotten harley' tech support to warranty a MAGNETTI MARELLI, flipped me out because it was 9 years old. The systems are subject to wear and is not totally rebuild able. My tech tried replacing everything in the system and nothing helped, bolted on new injection unit and ran like a top. Could not get a smooth idle, and would get some poping while ridding. If you had a download you should not of needed a fueler, is there a chance the download was wrong to begin with? Pumping too much fuel to the cylinders in the decel part of the map causing the extra fuel to unite in the ex. system causing the poping? Just food for thought.

No, Magnetti FI & Total tuner. Hooker staggered rebels, free flow air, stage one ecm download. New top end and no leaks, new timing modual and coil. Ordered a single fire compleat ignition should be here early next week.

Ok, that's right. I guess that started in '95 as an option on the touring bikes. Who makes the Total tuner, and is it a tuner or fueler?

TQ

If it did it before you changed mufflers & installed the fueler that rules them out, no ex. leaks don't leave much, possable it's the injection system? I've gotten harley' tech support to warranty a MAGNETTI MARELLI, flipped me out because it was 9 years old. The systems are subject to wear and is not totally rebuild able. My tech tried replacing everything in the system and nothing helped, bolted on new injection unit and ran like a top. Could not get a smooth idle, and would get some poping while ridding. If you had a download you should not of needed a fueler, is there a chance the download was wrong to begin with? Pumping too much fuel to the cylinders in the decel part of the map causing the extra fuel to unite in the ex. system causing the poping? Just food for thought.
Total EFI control module fuel injection tuner has three pots idle, acceleration fuel, and top end fuel. the download just brings a bike back to the EPA choke hold and dosen't really add any fuel to compensate for a lean burn condition I don't think. anyway the bike was popping and backfiring before the pipes and tuner so I've got a whole new single fire ignition ordered and hope that dose the trick.

Back