free website stats program 96 evo cutting out then runs fine | Harley Davidson Forums

96 evo cutting out then runs fine

pgcris

I don't know I'm lost it will run fine for maybe 100 miles then cut out maybe stall completly. Then it will backfire out the exhaust. I have not been left on the road yet, but it is getting close. I changed the petcock checked the wires even thought it might have been the kill switch. Any ideas got the Bagger blues.

Thanks,
geno

Sounds like ignition, check the coil and check inside nose cone maybe

I agree it sounds electrical. Not sure how you "check the wires", but I would replace the plug wires and spark plugs. Then you might disassemble the kill switch on the bars and see if it is full of green or white salt from corrosion of the copper contacts. This will cause a very frustrating intermittent problem until you clean it up. Scrape off the stuff, spray it with contact cleaner, spray lube and then reassemble.

TQ

im not sure about the EVO engine but if you have a throttle sensor or crank sensor then check if they are faulty

Thanks for the help,

I took it to my neighborhood Bike shop. He check out the entire system and pretty much said he couldn't find anything wrong. Well after about 25 mil it cut out again.

I'm thinking maybe kill switch or ignition....so it's off to check that.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm Coil getting HOT! But I have repaired the wires and replaced the Ign because the wires flexing, then breaking , then shorting out ....same thing happened to my buddys bike everyday....until I traced down the cracks in the wires

I repaired the wires...then opened up the hole in the nose cone a little....put heat shrink tubing over the area so the flexing and vibration was on the heat shrink tubing and not the wires themselves...problem solved..happy hunting!

Don't forget fueling...when running down lower in the tank maybe you are starved for fuel, (screen clogged)...did going to reserve help? Maybe a cracked vacumn hose leak (if you have a diaphram shutoff) or junk in the carb. And of course if EFI all the malady's of fuel pump/pressure (lack of) and such...

I had a similar problem w/ my '97 EVO. Ended up being battery cables were slightly loose on the battery terminals.

Thanks for the feedback,

I've checked every wire on the bike the only thing I found was a pig tail that goes from the ignition to a rely that was crushed. Hope that will fix it

Back