free website stats program 96 cu | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

96 cu

The motor is a complete new bike take off. I think its complete other than stator and fuel inj. What I paid for the motor was far less than I could do a big bore, cam upgrade to mine with 65K miles. I can do the swap but I've not been inside a motor or tanny so thats why I bought a complete motor. I have been watching for a matching trans but I read lots of storys about trans noise and such with the newer trannys so I don't intend to go that route if I don't have to.

Trying to make this fit in your older bike is gonna cost you a lot more than a big bore conversion would have. As stated you will need new compensator, a new transmission, wiring harness and ecm, not to mention the headache of trying to make all of this work properly.

Why would I need to change wiring harness and ecm? The motor has no other elec hook ups than my orig motor and I'm using my orig fuel injection.
Elec stator may be the only thing I have to use from the later series of twin cam motors, but I'm not sure I even need to do that yet. If in fact the compensater sprocket is a diff spline then I may need to use a later stator also if the crank is diff on that side too.

ohh its different all right the splines are smaller thats why if you look at comp parts the dont fit prior models from 08

Well I appreciate your responses. I have talked the the guy I purchased the motor from, parts mngr at HD, and he said I would definitly have to use a trans from 07 or later which isn't really a problem, just need to find one. Sounds like when I'm done I'll have an all new drivetrain which will be good for a few more yrs and a lot less than a new bike. As far as cost, $1500 for a new 4 mile motor plus cost of tranny should be a realitively inexpensive swap.

Are the motor mounts the same? For some reason it seems like I remember reading that the way the motors mount is different. You may want to check this out before you invest in the transmission. I could be wrong but I would definitely check this out.

Motor mounts are different, but that should not be and issue if you just use the front bracket off the 02, also you will have to use the upper stablizer off the 02. You will need to modify the main harness for crank sensor, alternator/reg and speed sensor. You will need a 07+tranny and the whole inner/outer primary/ clutch/comp assy as all this was changed in 07 when 96ci/6speed platform was introduced. I my opinion this is going to be more work than what its worth. I would of traded or bought a newer bike. Just my opinion.

Trying to make this fit in your older bike is gonna cost you a lot more than a big bore conversion would have. As stated you will need new compensator, a new transmission, wiring harness and ecm, not to mention the headache of trying to make all of this work properly.

R.Bingham nailed the door shut on this.
And, IF, a big-bore conversion was done,(CERTAINLY not a Squeallin' Seagull, ie Dump-Duck, kit either) you'd be running circles around the 96"er, as well, with better fuel economy, and smoother power.:)
Scott

I agree with above.. You can't just use 2001 spark curves and standard table setups on a late model 96. I mean you COULD and maybe get close and it will run, but I see a bunch of tuning work ahead for you. If I was going to attempt it, I would couple it to the late model Delphi ECM and get away from the MM setup. At least then you would actually be able to actually tune the engine and de-bug it using a SEST.
But it sounds like you want to do it, so let us know how it goes.

I agree with above.. You can't just use 2001 spark curves and standard table setups on a late model 96. I mean you COULD and maybe get close and it will run, but I see a bunch of tuning work ahead for you. If I was going to attempt it, I would couple it to the late model Delphi ECM and get away from the MM setup. At least then you would actually be able to actually tune the engine and de-bug it using a SEST.
But it sounds like you want to do it, so let us know how it goes.

Sorry i thought it was a 2002. Yes i agree with Hoople. You are going to have issues with tuning if you are going to run the stock Magnetti Merelli EFI. If it already was a delphi i would say it would be a lot easier. Also 2001 mm efi uses a camsensor in camcover right? and if you put a 2010 engine in with a mm efi system, it will not run without the cam sensor, correct me if im wrong.

I looked a trading up but didn't want to pay 450 a month for the next 5 yrs. The Delphi upgrade sounds like a good investment. Already have the charging worked out, 3 phase kit tu upgrade older models, all I will need is the regulater. Already have the primary stuff, stator, starter, just need tranny as the next big purchase. I've already upgraded the rubber to 09 tire sizes so I just figured I'd keep going with the powertrain. I'll keep you all informed as to how it goes.

Back