free website stats program 96 cu | Harley Davidson Forums

96 cu

I have an 01 Ultra that I wish to upgrade the motor on. I have purchased a 2010 96 in motor from a new bike and want to know what has to be changed to install this in my 01 Ultra. I will be using my stock fuel injec sys. Also, what programmer would you reccomend to upgrade with.

The compensator is different .. Crankshaft splines and the newer ones are also bigger so you will need a new chain and should also change the clutch basket for the chain to the newer setup .. your gearing might be weird in the trans with this set up ..

not sure you can get a tuner to work with your old FI and big inch motor .. with the old Fi its MM isnt be enough for the big incher ?

Maybe it would Maybe it wouldnt it should be close .. stroke is the main difference of the engines

Could I use an upgrade program for a 95in big bore kit?
Also, I asked 2 diff HD shops about the upgrade to the larger motor and they both told me it would be a bolt in deal, I obviously, and for good reason, didn't believe them.

i wish i could tell ya for sure on the upgrade program one of the other peeps might be able to tell you ..

yeah not straight bolt in for sure..

Thats something i didnt think of either... the 88 had the oil lines exposed by trans they are not on the 96 so you would need matching trans i think unless you can hook oil lines up

The motor is a complete new bike take off. I think its complete other than stator and fuel inj. What I paid for the motor was far less than I could do a big bore, cam upgrade to mine with 65K miles. I can do the swap but I've not been inside a motor or tanny so thats why I bought a complete motor. I have been watching for a matching trans but I read lots of storys about trans noise and such with the newer trannys so I don't intend to go that route if I don't have to.

The motor is a complete new bike take off. I think its complete other than stator and fuel inj. What I paid for the motor was far less than I could do a big bore, cam upgrade to mine with 65K miles. I can do the swap but I've not been inside a motor or tanny so thats why I bought a complete motor. I have been watching for a matching trans but I read lots of storys about trans noise and such with the newer trannys so I don't intend to go that route if I don't have to.

Trans noise is blown out of proportion

:( I agree 100% Bud, I am on my second 6 speed in the last 4 years and love them. What ever whine that is usually complained about, I must be too old to hear!!!

Back