free website stats program 96 ci up grade to 103 ci | Harley Davidson Forums

96 ci up grade to 103 ci

Mongo1958

I was looking in the Harley Davidson 2014 catalog...this thing is going to be dangerous to my wallet.
Any way ,the parts for the 103 upgrade are under $1k (including cams) and I was wondering how many hours it will take to install and tune.
I'd call the dealer but they are closed today. This would be cheaper than getting a new bike :))

Hmmm. Vroom Vroom!
WAP.gif

I don't have the new catalog yet - probably a good thing!

I'm curious. Does this upgrade you to a straight 103 like last year or to the new, high output 103 with the new cams like on the 2014 Rushmore bikes?

There are 3 upgrades from the 96 ci to the 103 ci. The stage 2 kit is the one that I'm looking at for $950 on page 459. The hight out put 103 rivals the 110 for performance at a cost of $2k on page 460.

It will all depend on my moo la situation. After all, I'm about to pay of my truck in next month. So.......
WAP.gif

If you go with the BB kit from the catalog, make sure the dealer is on board with checking piston to cylinder fitment by torqueing cylinders in torque plates and checking piston to cylinder clearance to verify that the clearance is within spec. Contrary to what many believe, the BB kit parts are not "matched". So if you get a set of cylinders on the max side of the factory spec and a set of pistons on the min side of the factory spec, the fitment will not be within spec. The H-D pistons are hypereutectic and fit tight to the cylinder, .0005-.0015 IIRC. Some dealers bolt them up as the come out of the box but the dealer techs that know what they are doing will torque the cylinders up in torque plates, check fitment and if out of spec, return and try again. Chances are, the parts will be within spec but why take a chance.

Bore your cylinders, order a set of SE cast flat top pistons and have the pistons fitted to your bored and "seasoned" cylinders; save some $$ start with a tight top end and good ring seal. JMHO.

You make a lot of sense. I recommend that you change you Avatars name.

If you go with the BB kit from the catalog, make sure the dealer is on board with checking piston to cylinder fitment by torqueing cylinders in torque plates and checking piston to cylinder clearance to verify that the clearance is within spec. Contrary to what many believe, the BB kit parts are not "matched". So if you get a set of cylinders on the max side of the factory spec and a set of pistons on the min side of the factory spec, the fitment will not be within spec. The H-D pistons are hypereutectic and fit tight to the cylinder, .0005-.0015 IIRC. Some dealers bolt them up as the come out of the box but the dealer techs that know what they are doing will torque the cylinders up in torque plates, check fitment and if out of spec, return and try again. Chances are, the parts will be within spec but why take a chance.

Bore your cylinders, order a set of SE cast flat top pistons and have the pistons fitted to your bored and "seasoned" cylinders; save some $$ start with a tight top end and good ring seal. JMHO.

Back