free website stats program 96 build to a ? | Harley Davidson Forums

96 build to a ?

lmb1485

i have a 07 ultra classic and i know i'm beating a dead horse here,but my riding style is alot of two up and weekend to month long trips in and through the mountains,mostly.I've read alot about the 103 build ...just cams and a good tune....to be honest i'm confused as to what to do.....with my riding style what would be the best way to go to get more torque and passing power in 6th gear.I do have a budget of $1000 or so......thanks

Limited to $1000? I'd add a decent set of slip-ons, hi-flow intake & a tuner or the HD download if you're short on cash. Good set of cams would be next.

good luck!

From what I have read & seen, a thousand won't get you a big bore kit even if you do all the work yourself. I would tig & true the crank on any Big bore kit.

I'd go with a good set of cams that you can use with your stock heads. Check out the Woods TW6-6 cams. There's lots of great cams that make monster torque to choose from.

I'd go with a good set of cams that you can use with your stock heads. Check out the Woods TW6-6 cams. There's lots of great cams that make monster torque to choose from.

LOOK at a LOW RPM set of cams BUT FIRST go for a FULL stage one (slip-ons/SE air) using the TFI for the fuel management...
YOU WILL be able to come in at OR UNDER 1000$$ and YOU WILL be happy with the results.... TRY THIS FIRST THAN THINK CAMS if not enough power

I really doubt if you will NEED TO GO for the cams,,, I FELT the increase of POWER with THIS full stage one I installed ...

"THE KIND of POWER you FEEL in the SEAT AT OF YOUR PANTS"

LOTS OF LOW END TORQUE........... pulling you and a load on the bike effort-less........

On my 09 FLHR i did the V&H slip on mufflers (nice low rumble sound)

scream'n eagle air,,,,,AND the TFI....

TFI made the BIG DIFFERENCE,,,, I DON"T FEEL THE NEED FOR CAMS NOW!!!!! I'm happy two up and loaded with this set up..

MY COST

V&H exhaust 350$, SE air 125$, TFI 255.$ = under 800 $$$$$

YOU might try something like that on your bike..... exhaust and air THEN the TFI...YOU ALSO MIGHT NOT find the need for MORE .....
BUT if you do want LOW END CAMS latter,,, no problem as the fore mentioned will go WELL with cams added at a later time.....

signed....BUBBIE

i have rienhart true duals ,power commanderIII and se big air,on it now

Bubbie,

I think you're spot on but it sounds like he already has stage 1 complete. Good set of torque cams would be next. Big bore kit if $$ was no object.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree , 6th gear , I never even get in to 6th unless Im going min 80 mph,I cruise around at 50 in 4th and in the 3000 rpm range . I like to know if I hit the throttle theres something there to get me going and also when I need to slow down I like the help of a little engine brake n , I really like the 96/6spd but I really only use it when Im crusien hard down the highway 90-105 mph 5th gear is just fine when normal highway riding 65-70 ,other then that 6th to me is a unusable gear.

Back