free website stats program '95 Wide Glide fuel problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

'95 Wide Glide fuel problem

I would be looking at the carb in particular the diaphragm in the top and if otherwise the carb is good then perhaps the spark advance is letting it down
or the coil is breaking down under load

Brian

What Brian said, now knowing the bike has been sitting this is making sense

I have never had a Carb HD but I have had carb engines of all types and Tons of them. It sure sounds like a carb issue to me.

The planets would have to be in alignment for it to be an ignition issue. But like Jack suggested,, perform a compression test just to know what kind of foundation your dealing with. I would take it 1 step further and perform a leak down. You would have to have 1 bad intake leak to have that kind of flat-spot.
Blast it with WD-40 or propane to see if the intake area is tight.

I assume the cam & ignition timing are in the ballpark of being somewhat correct. If that is true & you pass compression and leakdown, it indicates your foundation is mechanically sound.

20.00 on the intake seals cracked and carb in need of rebuilding, these intake seals are a weak point and the intake manifold is another POOR at best design for our motors JMO

I would be looking at the carb in particular the diaphragm in the top and if otherwise the carb is good then perhaps the spark advance is letting it down
or the coil is breaking down under load

Brian

I'm not very mechanically inclined, so would the spark advance or coil breaking down have anything to do with the bike running lean. The tech says there is discoloration at the top of the new pipes i put on, which indicates the bike is running lean.

would the spark advance or coil breaking down have anything to do with the bike running lean.

No. Ignition has nothing to do with what your A/F ratio is. The A/F ratio is mixed and made before the plug is fired. If it's lean,, it is a carb or intake seal issue.

I'm not very mechanically inclined, so would the spark advance or coil breaking down have anything to do with the bike running lean. The tech says there is discoloration at the top of the new pipes i put on, which indicates the bike is running lean.

Yes and no, I know thats not the answer you want to hear, but it sure sounds like a fuel problem first, not enough, will be lean and you already said the bike wont run right let alone pull itself Right? Get the fuel sorted out first and see how it runs. Does it start up good, just no power?

Yes, it starts up good, and idles just fine. But as soon as you touch the throttle it sputters out. If it's an intake seal issue, could that be the cause of the gas dripping from the back of the carb?

Yes, it starts up good, and idles just fine. But as soon as you touch the throttle it sputters out. If it's an intake seal issue, could that be the cause of the gas dripping from the back of the carb?

Probably not, typical problem with bad intake seals are hard starting high idle eratic idle back fire, you can check for that as Hoople pointed out in # 12

Ive got a 94 EVO and it has a CV carb. The drip is probably from the accel. pump diapharam, the e10 gas eats the rubber. Can you tell us what low and high speed jets your running? I would also like to know if your engine has had any thing added to it like cams, quick change pushrods, yost power tube, and where your running your ignition (advance), also do you know which needle and how high or low is it set? I had a problem with my EVO when the advance was set to far forward. Has the rubber seal between the carb and intake been replaced? Has the VOS been disconnected?

With all i have read on this thread it seems to be that all things are pointing to the carb and i think a rebuild kit and a complete rebuild would be a good starting point
while the carb is off its a good time to replace all the manifold seals
personally i dont really like the stock cv carb it does not work well in my climatic conditions and instead of chasing down a fault on an old carb i prefer to replace with a mikuni hsr

Brian

Back