free website stats program '95 Wide Glide fuel problem | Harley Davidson Forums

'95 Wide Glide fuel problem

inunneley

I bought a 1995 wide glide about a month ago. I have not been able to get it on the road, it's been in the shop since day 1. The mechanic can not figure out the problem. It starts, and idles fine, but if you put on the throttle at all, it sputters out because it's not getting enough gas. The mechanic said fuel is getting to the carb, but not to the intake. He's put 2 different carbs on there. Originally he thought it was an electrical problem, so I put on an Ultima single fire ignition system, which didn't fix anything. He then said my 2" pipes were too big for that engine, so we put on 1 3/4" drag pipes, which also did not solve the problem. He ran the bike off an external tank, and the same problem occurred, so It's probably not in the gas take. He says there is a small drip of gas coming off the back of the carb, but can't figure out from what. I'm taking it to a different mechanic...any ideas on what the problem could be?

He's put 2 different carbs on there.

Are you 100% sure that this is a True statement. Two different carbs along with your original carb means 3 carbs to me. All 3 carbs had the same results with no change in how the bike ran.

No, I'm not 100% sure. He told me he did, but after the bike being at his shop for a month, I'm not sure of anything. He says that the carb is definitiley not the problem.

Are these new and known to be good carbs? this does not make sense to me

So you can not even GENTLY increase the speed of the engine up to ~3000 RPM without it bogging while in neutral? Or is this problem only while loading or riding the bike on the street.

Have you run a compression test and checked the intake seals?

Are these new and known to be good carbs? this does not make sense to me
No, they are not new. He got them from another bike mechanic who is supposed to be the best guy in this area with carbs.

So you can not even GENTLY increase the speed of the engine up to ~3000 RPM without it bogging while in neutral? Or is this problem only while loading or riding the bike on the street.
Yes, even if you slightly increase the engine it bogs in neutral, i haven't even ridden the bike.

Have you run a compression test and checked the intake seals?
There has not been a compression test run or checked the intake seals. I'm sure the next mechanic will do that.

The only reason I stuck with this guy for so long is that he vouched for the bike, and is doing all the work free until he can figure it out. But he's lost his motivation since he's not making money, and only works on it if I stop in the shop every day.

If this is a C V carb, I would have it rebuilt and have at it, They are very good carbs, That said has this bike been sitting for a while? If so have the tech check compression and leak down and check the intake seals, they may be bad from too much sitting, Good Luck, Capital Jack:p

Yea, from what he's told me, it's been sitting for 6+ months. I'm sure it's impossible to know exactly what's wrong by me just telling you guys, just wanted to get some ideas. This is my 3rd bike, but first Harley.

I would be looking at the carb in particular the diaphragm in the top and if otherwise the carb is good then perhaps the spark advance is letting it down
or the coil is breaking down under load

Brian

Back