free website stats program 95 tour glide start run problems | Harley Davidson Forums

95 tour glide start run problems

New to this gig so intro. I'm tourglider,70 giong on 40. Have some questions and a problem which are tied together. Had the bike 3 seasons (Wisconisn).
When I first got the bike once in a while the starter would not turn over let it sit a few minutes and the problem healed itself. little by little the problem got wirse till it starter would not turn over again.gat a push got it home. Have checked all the grounds I can find.replaced bar switches rebuild solonoid checked starter, replaced relay. Take a hot wire to solonoid works every time. Sometimes when you push the starter button there is a delay before the starter kicks in. Now it has developed a studder while running shuts down then comes right back has never quit. not all the time now and then. there was a recall that sound like it was for this problem and it was done according to H.D. Ihave no way of knowing if it is still on the bike as I am at least the 3rd owner and it has an 89 tour glide fairing. Any ideas about what the recall parts were ? ignition switch porbably next. Should the lights og out while the starter is working?

Lights should not go out while starting .. lose a little brightness sure..have you had the battery tested ? check and cleaned the connections at battery?

when thr starter solonoid won't pull in there is no current to the switch wire to the solonoid. starter ground is good or oyu couldn't hot wire it.

replaced the relay. this is a on and off problem now things are fine. wait a few day and i'll see if we can still ride.

Good chance it's the relay. If the points are burnt from lots of starts over 14 years, that is where the resistance in the circuit could come from.

Old girl studdering

I think I found the answer to my starting problem. The main circuit breaker was somewhat corroded and 40 amp instead of the 50 it should have. On to the next. 95 tour glide 1340 stock evo. I started the bike (45-50 degrees) started great and ran strong for about 8 miles and then hic-uped a time or two. Shut it down for aprox 20 minutes. Started it up ( starter pulled in great) and after a mile or two it started to hic-up again. Rode about 39 miles and when I got home it wouldn't even idle. Just started it up and its still doing it. this has been hapening all summer ot one degree or another. Some ride for a couple days no problem then it starts again. This is as bad as its been. By hic-up I mean its like it misses and comes right back never quits completly except now on idle. When it does it the tack will either jump or drop. Plugs are new, wires are new and does not seem to be a fuel problem. I there any way to test the ignition module? Any suggestions? Guess I might have to go thru the whole test proceedure. Know where I can get the capacator I need for the test proceedure? thanks

Re: Old girl studdering

I have a '91 EVO, so I would suggest checking the basics first:
  • Remove, wire brush both mating surfaces and reinstall the battery cables (both ends)
  • Remove, wire brush and reinstall all grounds
  • Check for intake leaks (see below)
  • Check for a short in the plug wires where they come through any coil cover especially
  • Disassemble the right switch gang and clean the kill switch contacts
  • Replace the plugs
  • Open the float bowl drain and catch the contents in a glass jar for inspection
  • Disassemble and clean the carb depending on previous bullet
  • Drain and clean gas tank depending on previous two bullets
If all of that stuff checks out and you are still having erratic running problems, then you might want to investigate the module.

Intake System Leaks - Harley Davidson Community

Finding An Intake Leak - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Back