free website stats program 95 FLSTN speedometer erratic | Harley Davidson Forums

95 FLSTN speedometer erratic

Rick P

Bike has 36,000 miles. The original owner replaced the speedometer about 20,000 ago however, I don't know if it was a new unit. l replaced the speedometer cable about 500 miles ago, as I didn't trust that the anyone ever lubed it. I've not had any problems until yesterday. The needle now jumps around and doesn't go over about 20 mph no matter if I am going much faster. Any suggestions?

Rick in Indiana

Transmission, check the self help section of the forum for your model.

If yours runs off the front wheel It may be a bad cable or the speedo itself.

*Speed Sensor Pickup Problem Symptoms

Before you go any further, check to see if your bike has a cable drive speedometer that drives off the front wheel. Many have posted questions and not said if they have cable drive or electronic speedometers that drive off magnetic impulse from the transmissions.

If your speedometer stops registering speed and your odometer does not move as far as registering miles traveled, you also realize that your directional signals do not self cancel, your engine could be running differently and stalling, your problem is more than likely the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the transmission. It collects metal particles that are from the wear in the transmission being that it is a magnetic pickup that reads off the 4 th gear cog in the transmission. You can clean it off then replace it, but most times it will go bad again real soon. The best thing to do is replace it. I believe the cost is around $50. A simple repair requiring one bolt for removal. It's located on the transmission just behind the rear pipe. A good quality gear lube will just about eliminate this problem.

The magnetic speed sensor pick up gets fouled from the metal shavings in the transmission which causes the speedo to stop working and the directionals to stop self canceling because of no input to the ECM from the sensor. The ECM thinks that the bike is standing still because of no input. It will also set a code which gives you a red light on the dash.
Use of a good gear oil will almost eliminate this problem completely.

The sensor pickup is a bit more hidden on the later 07- model bikes under the starter.
To the right of the VSS is the Neutral safety switch with the two plugs on it and to the left is the main battery ground connection if you ever need to clean it.

Last edited:
Yes, drives off of front wheel. Does that negate the bulk of your text? IOW, back to your first idea- bad cable or speedo?

Try pulling the cable off the front wheel, attach a drill to the end sticking out of the cable and see if your speedo moves past the 20 mph you described. I've never done this on a motorcycle but if it's like older cars it should work.

My wife has gone through a few speedo cable inners in her time usually break near to the wheel taking the cable of at the drive end and securing the inner cable in a drill and run the drill would be a good test of the speedo and inner cable if the drive unit has not been fitted to the wheel correctly could also cause a problem small tab needs to be in a slot on the brake rotor
so if front wheel has been off recently it would be a good place to start

Brian

Just found the problem. I disassembled everything and found the knurled nut that attaches the cable to the speedometer was gone. It had slid down the cable housing several inches and out of sight. Can the bike vibrate that much? I know that I tightened it as much as possible. I didn't want to put pliers on it and chew everything up, so I put on some latex gloves and cranked on it. This time I added blue thread lock to the threads.
Thanks for all your responses.

Yes the bike can vibrate that much might be a wee bit of trouble getting it off again after using blue Loctite however a wee bit of heat from a hot air gun will help soften the Loctite if future removal is required

Brian

The cable driven speedos have never been a good set up, if not lubed and maintained the cable will break and the worm drive will get chewed up

Back