free website stats program 94 Sportster tail light wiring... | Harley Davidson Forums

94 Sportster tail light wiring...

dirtydurst

So here's the back story...

My brake light was not working on my 94 Sportster so after a bit of research and help from a buddy at a motorcycle shop down the street I was told I needed a new tail light assembly all together. No big deal only 75 bucks from Harley and I'll swap it out myself.

So I got everything in today and disconnected the old assembly and installed the brand new one. But, when I connected the new wires to the black connector box I might have switched up the red and blue wires. Either way, I put it back together, plugged it in and it came on!

But the happiness left quickly when the brake light still didn't (EDIT) work. Then the (EDIT) headlight switched off and there was a clicking sound coming from the four fuse looking things above the rear fender. And it keeps clicking every two seconds.

What happened? What did I do? And how do I fix it?

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Please help! Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking about the circuit breakers on the fender? Sounds like they are tripping and then resetting themselves. What do you mean you switched up the wires?

I also was wondering why you had to replace the whole assembly? The first thing I would have done is trouble shoot the switch for your brake light.

I marked the connector box which wires go where but the marking rubbed off before i put the wiring in. So thats why I wasn't 100% sure they were in the right spot.

I did a bit of troubleshooting and like I said, I took it to a bike shop up the road and they did the diagnostic and told me I needed to replace to assembly because the socket was corroded and loose from age and wear and it wasn't getting the connection it needed.

I swapped the wires and the headlight works fine now and the clicking stopped. Its still making a strange crackling noise, not the same clicking sound from before. and it seems like both lights are stuttering.

And when I hit the brakes it seems like it is changing the voltage a bit on the brake but not much.

Lights stuttering? Make sure all your connections are good. It seems by the way you describe it, that a wire is loose, hence the crackling.

A wire is loose? As in one of the three I plugged into the connector? I checked them out and they seem pretty secure.

Sorry if I sound clueless, I'm learning all this as I go. I've had this bike for a while, but it's the first one I've ever actually worked on. And thank you for your help.

If you are still getting a crackling noise I would check for bare spots on wires. Check all wires you moved while working on taillight. Could be a bare spot on hot wire rubbing on bike frame, fender,etc. etc.

Back