free website stats program 94 Fatboy dumping fuel | Harley Davidson Forums

94 Fatboy dumping fuel

The more info you can give, the better the reply you get.

More than likely it's something in the needle holding it open. If I had to guess :D it's probably coming out the overflow hose in front of the rear tire.

My 94 Fatboy is dumping fuel when I turn the petcock on, any ideas as to why.

I agree with the guys, probably the float needle not closing. May be some trash in there. Try keeping the petcock closed, opening the carb float bowl drain and catch the gas in a clear glass jar. Check what comes out and see if there is lots of floaties in the gasoline.

With the bowl empty, rap on the side a the bowl with the wooden handle of a hammer or something. Then close the drain and open the petcock to refill the bowl. If it has stopped leaking, great. If not, try gripping the front brake and rocking the bike up and down to try and slosh the gas around in the bowl. If none of this works, I am afraid you will have to drop the bowl and check things out.

TQ

I have this problem from me to time with my 96 , I just close the petcock and start riding and then open it , I do like what they said about draining the bowl though , sounds a little more reassuring then my idea, this is normally a sign that your carb is dirty though and getting ready for a tear apart....good luck

If u have a c v carb there is a drain screw on the float bowl

I agree Hobbit If the screw opens u can drain the fuel out first before removing the bowl less mess and less chance of fuel all over the bike

make sure your tank isnt pressurising too, leave the bike in the sun with the fuel tap off, then open open the cap in 10 mins to check any pressure build up, you may have to drill the cap... just another thought apart from needle and seat issues ive seen.

Back