free website stats program 93 oct gas | Harley Davidson Forums

93 oct gas

Billbo

I have a question for all on the forum. I use 93 octane gas, and I really do not think a lot of other folks do. I mean automobiles now days. My question is when I go to a pump and get the high test gas-how do I know I am not getting the bottom of the tank or water or other contaminants? I know most cagers out there are using up all the regular gas and usually that is not a concern, but I have doubts about the quality of 93 octane gasoline IF its not used often from the pumps. I have been told before better to get gas from a high traffic station than one out in the country that only sells 20 gallons a week. what if they only sell 20 gallons of 93 a week?

Thanks for any input

Bill

I've also wondered the same Billbo. Glad you asked the question, can't wait for the responses. I also use 93 octane, but I know it's the least used at the pumps I buy it from, and probably in the entire state. I also wonder how much residual gas remains in the hose/etc. from the previous customer who most likely pumped lower octane. Probably not much, but I'm sure some's there.:s

I use 91 I believe the 93 is best for something with higher compresion than what I have, and also concerned with old gas so stick with the high volume stations. As for the residue left in the hose from the last guy, I do the polite thing and let my partner fuel first. :D

I've also wondered the same Billbo. Glad you asked the question, can't wait for the responses. I also use 93 octane, but I know it's the least used at the pumps I buy it from, and probably in the entire state. I also wonder how much residual gas remains in the hose/etc. from the previous customer who most likely pumped lower octane. Probably not much, but I'm sure some's there.:s

The second issue you mention has been discussed before and it appears to be an "urban legend" of sorts. All sorts of check valves prevent this from happening, from what I understand.

Not much residual gas stays in line. Try this: shut pump off then pull trigger. You will see how much remains. I to use the highest octane available in bike. Use lowest grade in cars. Tha tanks are to have a good filtering system to prevent mishaps. I always try to use big chain brand name gas stations just for that reason.

John & Tank

I beleive if you read your owners manual you will see that 91 octane is the minuim
octane you should use.

I use 93 in mine because we don't have 91. I believe it skips 91 for some reason. When you only put in about 5 gallons at a time it does not seem so bad. I always get my gas at K Roger where I get 10 cents per gallon discount. Shell now has the same deal in my area.

John & Tank

I beleive if you read your owners manual you will see that 91 octane is the minuim
octane you should use.

+1
Just learned that my bike likes higher than 93 octane. I live in northern california and recently found out how to get higher than 91 octane. I mix 91 and 100 octane 50/50 runnign about 95-96 octane, and I can swear it is like riding a different bike.

My bike and I both are much happier with higher octane!:)

Back