93 oct gas

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Billbo, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Billbo

Billbo Junior Member

I have a question for all on the forum. I use 93 octane gas, and I really do not think a lot of other folks do. I mean automobiles now days. My question is when I go to a pump and get the high test gas-how do I know I am not getting the bottom of the tank or water or other contaminants? I know most cagers out there are using up all the regular gas and usually that is not a concern, but I have doubts about the quality of 93 octane gasoline IF its not used often from the pumps. I have been told before better to get gas from a high traffic station than one out in the country that only sells 20 gallons a week. what if they only sell 20 gallons of 93 a week?

Thanks for any input

Bill

2. Cyclops

Cyclops Active Member

I've also wondered the same Billbo. Glad you asked the question, can't wait for the responses. I also use 93 octane, but I know it's the least used at the pumps I buy it from, and probably in the entire state. I also wonder how much residual gas remains in the hose/etc. from the previous customer who most likely pumped lower octane. Probably not much, but I'm sure some's there.:s

3. Charlies Harley

Charlies Harley Active Member

I use 91 I believe the 93 is best for something with higher compresion than what I have, and also concerned with old gas so stick with the high volume stations. As for the residue left in the hose from the last guy, I do the polite thing and let my partner fuel first. :D

4. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

The second issue you mention has been discussed before and it appears to be an "urban legend" of sorts. All sorts of check valves prevent this from happening, from what I understand.

5. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Not much residual gas stays in line. Try this: shut pump off then pull trigger. You will see how much remains. I to use the highest octane available in bike. Use lowest grade in cars. Tha tanks are to have a good filtering system to prevent mishaps. I always try to use big chain brand name gas stations just for that reason.

6. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

Unless I absolutely have to I won't get gas when a tanker is unloading.

7. johnkarlfl

johnkarlfl Active Member

My manual says to use 91oct gas.
    Why would you use anything other than what HD recomends??

8. dynadad

dynadad Member

John & Tank

I beleive if you read your owners manual you will see that 91 octane is the minuim
    octane you should use.

9. dr robert

dr robert Active Member

I use 93 in mine because we don't have 91. I believe it skips 91 for some reason. When you only put in about 5 gallons at a time it does not seem so bad. I always get my gas at K Roger where I get 10 cents per gallon discount. Shell now has the same deal in my area.

10. Honest Abe

Honest Abe Member

+1
    Just learned that my bike likes higher than 93 octane. I live in northern california and recently found out how to get higher than 91 octane. I mix 91 and 100 octane 50/50 runnign about 95-96 octane, and I can swear it is like riding a different bike.

My bike and I both are much happier with higher octane!:)