free website stats program 93 Heritage ignition short stop tripping | Harley Davidson Forums

93 Heritage ignition short stop tripping

DWR1949

My 93 Heirtage has started tripping the breaker & then resets itself. This is the ignition breaker. The start button has no juice but all other electrics work. Could the short stop itself be bad or possibly I have a short in the ignition system? Please help! DWR1949

My 93 Heirtage has started tripping the breaker & then resets itself. This is the ignition breaker. The start button has no juice but all other electrics work. Could the short stop itself be bad or possibly I have a short in the ignition system? Please help! DWR1949

Welcome to The Forum Harley Davidson Community Start here

The run kill switch supplies Battery to the Start button and at the same time gives battery to the coil. Sounds like you have a short there somewhere. You could disconnect the wire on the coil from switch and see if it still trips your breaker. The other wires on coil go to your cam sensor plate. They could be shorted as well. Does the breaker trip when you go from Kill to Run or when you hit the starter button?
tourbox

How long does the breaker stay connected? Does it trip immediately? Does trip after running a while? It may just be a bad breaker, they do get weak after a while. It also may be dirty connections causing it to heat up and trip. Check and clean all connections to and from breaker. That means removing them, inspecting them, cleaning them, and putting them back together.

I may be wrong but the 93 has to be like my 94 and does not have breakers it has solid blocks that are fusable links. I know they can be replaced with breaker type but what came on the bike are attached to the lower rear fender below and behind the oil bag.

the short stops are located under the dash cover to the dash bracket. Also, the main is on the rear fender as you stated. The bike starts fine and trips when idling. Thanks for any help.

You never answered the questions that were asked from entry point # 4. I also have the same questions.

Unless you have a DC induction amp clamp to measure the current draw, I would replace the ignition breaker with a new one and start from there. Because at this point you don't really know how much current is flowing in the circuit. You can't assume because the breaker trips, the current is excessive. It may not be.

Back