free website stats program '93 FXR Charging Question. Help ! | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

'93 FXR Charging Question. Help !

OK...now that I've been re-educate, measured AC voltage at the stator pins and it starts at 25v and ladders right up to about 60v.

Shut her off and measured resistance at the pins. My high quality ancient analog multi-meter is very hard to read something as small as .2-.4 at the RX1 scale. My el-cheapo Harbor Freight digital has 5 scales: 200, 2,000, 20,000, 200,000 and 2,000,000

At the two lower settings the thing reads erratically. Only at 20,000 does it zero out (when touching the two probes together). At that setting it shows 0.00 when touching the two probes together or when applying the probes to the two stator pins.

Voltage at the battery when running is about 12.5 regardless of RPM even though the stator is putting out 25-60 volts.

OK...now that I've been re-educate, measured AC voltage at the stator pins and it starts at 25v and ladders right up to about 60v.

Shut her off and measured resistance at the pins. My high quality ancient analog multi-meter is very hard to read something as small as .2-.4 at the RX1 scale. My el-cheapo Harbor Freight digital has 5 scales: 200, 2,000, 20,000, 200,000 and 2,000,000

At the two lower settings the thing reads erratically. Only at 20,000 does it zero out (when touching the two probes together). At that setting it shows 0.00 when touching the two probes together or when applying the probes to the two stator pins.

Voltage at the battery when running is about 12.5 regardless of RPM even though the stator is putting out 25-60 volts.

You have NO output from regulator, in fact your battery is low on charge right now, a fully charged battery is 12.7 volts, after the voltage drops to 10 volts you will start to misfire and then the engine will shut down, This will take a toll on the Alternator as well

You have NO output from regulator, in fact your battery is low on charge right now, a fully charged battery is 12.7 volts, after the voltage drops to 10 volts you will start to misfire and then the engine will shut down, This will take a toll on the Alternator as well

You are absolutely correct. Try another VR ? Is my stator absolutely shot as well (the lack of any ohms across the pins) even though she's putting out 25-60 volts?

You are absolutely correct. Try another VR ? Is my stator absolutely shot as well (the lack of any ohms across the pins) even though she's putting out 25-60 volts?

The regulator has to be changed for sure, retest the system with a FULLY charged battery and NEW regulator first:s

The regulator has to be changed for sure, retest the system with a FULLY charged battery and NEW regulator first:s

Makes sense...thanks...will do. Just called a local "guru" who said the ohms across the stator pins is something I can ignore since she's putting out good voltage. He pretty much said what you did...change out the VR.

Makes sense...thanks...will do. Just called a local "guru" who said the ohms across the stator pins is something I can ignore since she's putting out good voltage. He pretty much said what you did...change out the VR.

Good Luck, Make sure your regulator is grounded at the frame, if in doubt use external lock washers and scrape the paint on the frame:s LOCK WASHERS

Back