free website stats program '93 FXR Charging Question. Help ! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

'93 FXR Charging Question. Help !

Your tach problem is probably related with your charging problem. When you checked you stator for AC output you said it had the ladder effect like Hoople said. Did you also check each side of it for a ground and continuity across the pins?Ground and continuity test are done with the bike OFF. Neither side should be grounded,there should be a small ohm reading across the pins for the stator. Your manual should tell you the ohms for the test across stator. I have seen them test ok as far as AC output,sometimes lower AC, but be grounded and not charge properly,intermittently.You said you had a new battery but I would get it charged and load tested anyway.
tourbox

Your tach problem is probably related with your charging problem. When you checked you stator for AC output you said it had the ladder effect like Hoople said. Did you also check each side of it for a ground and continuity across the pins?Ground and continuity test are done with the bike OFF. Neither side should be grounded,there should be a small ohm reading across the pins for the stator. Your manual should tell you the ohms for the test across stator. I have seen them test ok as far as AC output,sometimes lower AC, but be grounded and not charge properly,intermittently.You said you had a new battery but I would get it charged and load tested anyway.
tourbox

Can you guide me a little? I'm not too hot on electronic stuff. You're saying to run my meter between the pins (continuity) and the ohm meter should NOT zero out? There should be some small ohm reading?

Then do each pin separately and run to a known ground?

Can you guide me a little? I'm not too hot on electronic stuff. You're saying to run my meter between the pins (continuity) and the ohm meter should NOT zero out? There should be some small ohm reading?

Then do each pin separately and run to a known ground?

I checked the manual for a '91-'95 Dyna for the ohm readings.They should be the same for your FXR.With your meter in the RX1 scale place the 2 leads across the stator pins or socket at the motor.The resistance across the the pins should read 0.2-0.4(dot 2-dot4)ohms.If it reads more than,or less than that there is a problem with the stator.Now ground 1 meter lead to a good known ground(ie battery Neg. term.) and touch each pin/socket with the other lead.They should both read infinity( no continuity). I will usually use the Beeper function on the meter for the ground test first because if it Beeps the stator is definitely grounded & testing for stator is over. Sometimes,as others have stated here,you can open the inspection cover on the primary and smell the oil for a burnt electrical smell. If you are familiar with that odor.It's usually pretty strong if the stator is burned.
tourbox

I checked the manual for a '91-'95 Dyna for the ohm readings.They should be the same for your FXR.With your meter in the RX1 scale place the 2 leads across the stator pins or socket at the motor.The resistance across the the pins should read 0.2-0.4(dot 2-dot4)ohms.If it reads more than,or less than that there is a problem with the stator.Now ground 1 meter lead to a good known ground(ie battery Neg. term.) and touch each pin/socket with the other lead.They should both read infinity( no continuity). I will usually use the Beeper function on the meter for the ground test first because if it Beeps the stator is definitely grounded & testing for stator is over. Sometimes,as others have stated here,you can open the inspection cover on the primary and smell the oil for a burnt electrical smell. If you are familiar with that odor.It's usually pretty strong if the stator is burned.
tourbox

No oil in my primary...dry Primo Rivera belt drive. I have noticed a smell but thought it was the new belt I installed when I did the new stator. Gonna go do some tests now. Thanks. I'll report back.

tourbox

Doing either pin results in an infinity reading. Good to go there. Going across the pins is gonna require me to go get a better meter. My ancient analog one isn't going to give me a reading that precise and the $6 digital one I bought at Harbor Freight is totally useless when measuring resistance. I'll report back after my shopping trip (and cutting the lawn,(EDIT)

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess it really doesn't matter what the resistance across the pins is (looks to be zero) because I put a volt meter across the ins while she was running and I'm getting NOTHING.

Now, the question is did I get a bad new stator (mail ordered form J&P) or did something on this bike fry the new one (and the old one)? I know the primary is hotter on a dry primary bike than a wet one, but is there a specific stator for these types?

I'm confused...that link was about diodes. What am I missing here?

A bad diode will cause the charging system to not fully charge the battery and can cause a drain on the battery also, if you ever saw a light flicker on the dash of your car that could have been a diode going bad, this will lead to alternator failure

A bad diode will cause the charging system to not fully charge the battery and can cause a drain on the battery also, if you ever saw a light flicker on the dash of your car that could have been a diode going bad, this will lead to alternator failure

Where might I have a bad diode that might be killing my stator?

Back