free website stats program 93 evo rebuild engine noise | Harley Davidson Forums

93 evo rebuild engine noise

TJ0311

Good morning to all,

I recentley just rebuilt my 93 fatboy with a 80" evo with the following:

daytona twintec single fire ignition kit(ability to adjust the curve, mode, and rpm limiter(curentley set at single fire, and rpm set to 6000)

e3 spark plugs
10:2:1 pop up pistons
new rings
manley race valve kit with up to .560 lift
Head work to increase air intake and compression releases
andrews Ev57 Cam
lifters
adjustable pushrods
sampson short shots exhaust

I rode the bike for almost 2k miles, but am still looseing oil some were, i guess the rings are still breaking in and trying to get seated. However that is not the issue, The problem im having is that recentley i have been hearing a slight noise upon shut off of the engine on the last stroke it makes before shut off. Now i noticed it is even louder when the bike is running when i was at a stop sign the other day, it sounded like a knock that was also rubbing. When i got it home i checked the oil to see if it was just low on oil, which it was so i add some to it. The noise is still there. Upon shutting the bike off on the last stroke the engine makes a loud mechinical noise after i have turned off the bike.

I tried to adjust the primary chain tension thinking the rubing noise could have been to much slap in the chain, but it did not change anything. The bike has also not ben timed yet, because at the time i could not see past all the smoke the engine was makeing threw the timeing hole, so i wanted to let the rings set first before i timed it. The best way i can describe the noise is on the last stroke it like, clunk, clunk, clunk each one slower then the last.

I have no idea were to go from here, i read in my ignition manual for the one i have that i need to advance the slope for the type of gas i run wich is 93 octane only, could that be the cause of all this?

I sure can't diagnose an engine from afar but you are absolutely wrong about your rings having to seat. On an EVO they never seat. Seating rings is a wearing and polishing process that the EVO doesn't use. So did you bore your cylinders or hone them with out putting them in a cylinder holder that allows you to torque them down to the specs for installed jugs? Your timing may be off if shutting it down makes a mechanical noise or your lifters are not pumping up. Just go over the process of putting the engine together while reading the Harley shop manual. Some thing is not together right.

i had the cylinders honed by a shop. I did not have them bored. the noise is also durring running but is worse when the bike gets shut off

The smoke through the timing hole I would be concerned about for now. It indicates the rings are not seated and sealing but you had them honed so I would suggest trying to get the timing set and do the break in of the motor and see where it goes. The knocking noise should be locates as to the area of origin. Possibly the push rod adjustment or something in the head being you had them redone.

Harley Davidson Community

i dont know if i should ride it with the noise it is makeing. i dont think it is the pushrods, if that was the case then wouldn't the engine be miss fireng and a valve hitting the pistons. i am experenceing no loss of power at all that way i say that.

i wouldnt be riding any bike with a new engine, that has not had the timing set. thats just asking for problems, detonation will ruin that engine in short order.
if there is so much smoke you cant set the timing, something is wrong. broke a ring installing, missing valve seal, etc.
i am not clear, is the smoke coming from the timing hole? or just coming from the exhaust and clouding the bike making it hard to see?

Back