92 FLH Charging system help

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by todsho, Aug 5, 2012.

1. todsho

todsho Member

Hello all, New to the forum and first post.
    I just picked up a 92 FLH that has been sitting for 3+ years in a garage. The bike runs well and rode it 21/2 hrs home. My problem is, about 20 miles into the trip home. I lost voltage. (guage down to battery voltage) went about 5 miles and started charging again. It did this all the way home. It would charge, then not charge. I made it home fine. The next morning, fired the bike up and charging fine for about 5 or so min then falls off. Let it sit for a while and it charges fine then falls off when bike warms up. I tested the regulator according to "self help" instructions and it seems fine. Can a regulator or stator be intermittent? I thought that they where either "good" or "bad",
    Any ideas on what could cause this? Thanx

2. SledDog

SledDog Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

It possible you could have a component heating up and causing an issue, but have you checked for loose wiring?

3. todsho

todsho Member

I am planning on doing that today. I am also going to check all the grounds for corrosion once I find them all. This is my first "Big Twin" so learning as I go..LOL.
    The ign. module plug was corroded so it would not surprise me to find other corrosion.

By the way...tha "self help" section is a great sourse if info! thanx

4. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

All of your analysis seems to be based on readings from your voltage gauge. Is it possible the gauge itself could be faulty and/or intermittent?

5. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I think SledDog is on track above. I would begin with the easy stuff, and check your grounds as you suggest above. For the main battery leads, I suggest removing, wire brushing and resecuring BOTH ends of both cables.

This is always a good place to start with intermittent electrical problems.

TQ

6. todsho

todsho Member

I tested voltage at the battery also and multimeter confirms the voltage loss.
    I just did a stator test and it failed. I have about 2 AC volts max at the stator plug at 3000 rpm so I am goig to say that it is the stator that failed. I started the bike this morning and had no voltage...only showing battery voltage :(
    So..Stator replacement..here I come! They are not that expensive other than the work involved so I am not that upset. I knew going in that the bike may need some work...especially for what I paid for it and having sat for 3+ years.

7. todsho

todsho Member

Another question...does anyone know who sells a replacement ignition switch for the 80s to 92 FLH? I know these are rare and hard to find so any help would be appreciated....even a good used one would do...thanx

8. SledDog

SledDog Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

Ignition switch or the actual on the handlebar push button?

9. todsho

todsho Member

The ignition swtch itself...the button is fine..

10. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor