free website stats program 92 FLH Charging system help | Harley Davidson Forums

92 FLH Charging system help

todsho

Hello all, New to the forum and first post.
I just picked up a 92 FLH that has been sitting for 3+ years in a garage. The bike runs well and rode it 21/2 hrs home. My problem is, about 20 miles into the trip home. I lost voltage. (guage down to battery voltage) went about 5 miles and started charging again. It did this all the way home. It would charge, then not charge. I made it home fine. The next morning, fired the bike up and charging fine for about 5 or so min then falls off. Let it sit for a while and it charges fine then falls off when bike warms up. I tested the regulator according to "self help" instructions and it seems fine. Can a regulator or stator be intermittent? I thought that they where either "good" or "bad",
Any ideas on what could cause this? Thanx

It possible you could have a component heating up and causing an issue, but have you checked for loose wiring?

I am planning on doing that today. I am also going to check all the grounds for corrosion once I find them all. This is my first "Big Twin" so learning as I go..LOL.
The ign. module plug was corroded so it would not surprise me to find other corrosion.

By the way...tha "self help" section is a great sourse if info! thanx

All of your analysis seems to be based on readings from your voltage gauge. Is it possible the gauge itself could be faulty and/or intermittent?

I think SledDog is on track above. I would begin with the easy stuff, and check your grounds as you suggest above. For the main battery leads, I suggest removing, wire brushing and resecuring BOTH ends of both cables.

This is always a good place to start with intermittent electrical problems.

TQ

I tested voltage at the battery also and multimeter confirms the voltage loss.
I just did a stator test and it failed. I have about 2 AC volts max at the stator plug at 3000 rpm so I am goig to say that it is the stator that failed. I started the bike this morning and had no voltage...only showing battery voltage :(
So..Stator replacement..here I come! They are not that expensive other than the work involved so I am not that upset. I knew going in that the bike may need some work...especially for what I paid for it and having sat for 3+ years.

Another question...does anyone know who sells a replacement ignition switch for the 80s to 92 FLH? I know these are rare and hard to find so any help would be appreciated....even a good used one would do...thanx

Back