free website stats program 92 fatboy electrical problems | Harley Davidson Forums

92 fatboy electrical problems

smitty92

My battery started smoking in 92 fatboy. Replaced with older battery. Apparently regulator had went out and overcharged everything. 2nd battery also got too hot. Replaced battery and regulator but all bulbs are blown and not sure what else could have blown or burnt out. Bike will turn over but not start. Can anyone help? Thanks, Smitty

Sounds like it's dead-shorting somewhere. Check wires to make sure the positive leads aren't contacting the common ground anywhere (might even just be where a spot has worn off in the insulation).

Start by checking all the fuses and then replace bulbs as needed. A faulty regulator that is overcharging can burn out a lot of things on a bike including an ECM or ICM as well as aftermarket ignition systems.

Find your turn signal module (may be under the seat) and see if that thing looks burnt or significantly distorted from heat. That can be toasted by an over-charge condition.

Luckily on a stock '92, you do not have too much IC that can be ruined by high voltage/current output from the VR. Like Glider said above, check your fuses and CBs. Sniff test the CBs to see if they are toast.

Also open up the Primary chain inspection cover or the derby cover and do a sniff test on the Primary fluid. If it smells burnt, I would open up the Primary and check the stator.

TQ

Last edited:
Check for power from the cone to the coil, may have burned up the pick up

Find your turn signal module (may be under the seat) and see if that thing looks burnt or significantly distorted from heat. That can be toasted by an over-charge condition.

Luckily on a stock '92, you do not have too much IC that can be ruined by high voltage/current output from the VR. Like Glider said above, check your fuses and CBs. Sniff test the CBs to see if they are toast.

Also open up the Primary chain inspection cover or the derby cover and do a sniff test on the Primary fluid. If it smells burnt, I would open up the Primary and check the stator.

TQ
This sound like the road to recovery to me. A sniff test can tell you a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
Check all fuses and breakers and look for any burnt or melted wiring. If you come across any stiff wiring look at it real close. It may be where the trouble is. Good luck.

thanks for all the advice. Getting fire to coil but it ends there, so I will have the coil checked out and probably will have to replace. Guess it doesn't pay to buy a off-market regulator. Burns out too many things.

Back