free website stats program 92-93 1340 EVO Base Gasket | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

92-93 1340 EVO Base Gasket

Although i do use hylomar blue i fitted the base gaskets dry with no sealant and as yet have had no trouble with them and it is over 4 years since i last had to do a base gasket
Proper warm up procedure for the bike tends to be the best way to prevent base gaskets leaking my 3 bikes are a 92, 93, and a 94 the 93 does not get used much but the other 2 are used fairly often during riding season

Brian

I have the FLSTF with 14K miles on it disassembled in preparation to repair the base gasket. When I pulled the head off this is what the crown of the piston looked like. I am a diesel guy and to me this looks like incomplete combustion. I would really appreciate if some of you HD technicians would weigh in and let me know what you think. Is this a normal piston with 14K miles on it? The cylinder looks good. The rings look good nice and shinny.

Thank you

Attachments

• 1994_EVO.jpg
    1994_EVO.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 17
Piston looks like all I've ever seen with some miles. When putting it back together, fit the intake manifold in place and align before torquing the head.

Piston looks like all I've ever seen with some miles. When putting it back together, fit the intake manifold in place and align before torquing the head.

Thanks Breeze, I ordered the James overhead gasket kit from a local bike shop here. Any recommendations when installing the James gaskets? I would rather give my money to a small local shop than patronize the local Harley dealership.

Thanks Breeze, I ordered the James overhead gasket kit from a local bike shop here. Any recommendations when installing the James gaskets? I would rather give my money to a small local shop than patronize the local Harley dealership.

Do you recommend any blue Loctite on the rocker arm fasteners (Any fasteners during reassembly)? I did notice that one of the rocker arm support capscrews was loose during dis assembly.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back