free website stats program 91 ultra wont start. | Harley Davidson Forums

91 ultra wont start.

bungobill

Help.!!!! I have just done a bit of work to the electrics on my 91 Ultra,1340 standard engine with a 1996 Screamin Eagle Ignition Module. I have replaced the Alternator & Voltage Regulator, and after fitting these I took the bike for a 150 mile round trip. I have started the bike a couple of times since and it started ok. I had been having problems with the Turn Signals(L & R) not working and have replaced the old Unit with a new Harley one. The turn Signals started to work then stopped working.The bike was still running/ticking over. I put my hand up to make sure that the Connector (Type.8 wires in.*8 wires out) which connects to the *Screamin Eagle Ign. Module from the Wiring Harness hadnt come adrift.
When I pressed this Connector,in the cente, with my fingers,the engine "cut out".On taking the pressure OFF the Connector...the engine "cut in"/kept running. When I switched the Engine off at the "stop"switch and tried to restart it again..it wouldnt start. I have tested and I am not getting any spark at the (new)plugs. Could it be a Fuse or relay which has "fused".Any suggestions as to where to look for a possible relay or fuse which might need replaced.? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Doug.

I would start by looking into that 8 wire connector, it shouldn't die when you push on it, bad connection?? good luck.

I would start by looking into that 8 wire connector, it shouldn't die when you push on it, bad connection?? good luck.
Hi maine-e-axe,Many thanks for help.I have disconnected all wires leading into Connector and am just about ready to reconnect using individual connectors. Still wondered about Fuses/Relays. I know that Harley uses Relays & Circuit Breakers and I just wondered if you could tell me where the MAIN ones are. Merry Christmas & best wishes for 2010. Doug.

The manual says there is a 15 amp breaker for the ignition but don't say where it's at , I think it's under the seat or sidecovers. troubleshooting says to check the module's ground(black wire from module) and battery ground and engine ground. Have you checked for spark at the plugs?

I would start by checking all ground connections, make sure they are tight and not all corroded. From there I would go to the last place you were, maybe clean the connections and coat them, make sure they are not loose also.

Back