free website stats program 91 Heritage Charging Problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

91 Heritage Charging Problems

Here is a good question for all softail owners, is the engine grounded good? Take a close look and check to be sure, Evo motors in particular would vibrate the mount bolts loose, equals loosing a ground. IMO you cannot have enough grounds on a motorcycle

Update! I replaced the regulator today and am getting 14 vdc to the battery now. I also added the ground mentioned in the video. Here are a few pictures that may help someone else if they want to add the ground to their regulator. The only connector I could find were yellow, but a black sharpie fixed that.

I used a dremel to clean the contact area before mounting, and applied dielectric grease.

IMG_0508.jpg
[/IMG]

A 10-24 X 1/2 hex head bolt is a perfect fit, used #10 stranded wire, and crimp on connectors with dielectric and shrink tube.

IMG_0509.jpg
[/IMG]

Cleaned the mounting point of the shifter cover using the dremel

I also added a 40 amp circuit breaker to the line from the regulator to the battery.
IMG_0510.jpg
[/IMG]

is the breaker and ground neccesary if i use a 3 phase charging system.. or does the 3 phase take care of all of that

Welcome to he Forum. Yes a grounded regulator is needed, softails typically ground through the mount bolts to the frame IMO this is a poor at best ground, better ground less chance of problems. A breaker in the system will surely save you from burned up wires or a short at the battery, your ride you decide these are JMO

Back