91 Fatboy not running

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by fatty8235, Jul 12, 2010.

  1. fatty8235

    fatty8235 Member

    5
    11
    0
    The bike shot flames and a big black cloud of smoke and hasn't ran since. I replaced the battery because the other one shorted out. Since then, I've check the circuit breaker on the back fender, the 3 relays under the dash, the ignition switch, coil and spark plugs. Plugs work in another ignition system, no power going to the coil. Starter turned initially but no longer turns over. Also, high beam light stopped working, low works fine. Does anyone have an idea as to what kind of damage I'm looking at?
     
  2. hogrotten

    hogrotten Junior Member

    636
    28
    2
    If the starter isn't working I'd go back and check all the battery connections at the battery and at the starter to include the grounds to the frame and the motor and work from there. Good luck, hope you get it sorted out. :s
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
  3. Jack Klarich

    Jack Klarich Expert Member

    18,544
    153
    399
    My brother in law had a similar problem , he lost a ground and fried the ignition in the nose cone and burned up the wiring
     
  4. TQuentin1

    TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

    4,633
    83
    101
    Start at the battery and work outwards from there checking all grounds and wire connections. At the battery, remove and wire brush the cable connections (neg off first, on last). Move outwards from there. Clean all ground connections and resecure, checking for damaged wiring in-process. If all that checks out, try jumping the starter to see if it at least works (make sure the tranny is in neutral).

    When you get to the nose cone and the wiring out of the bottom, look for problems there. Check that you have ~12 volts at the coil input (red).

    Let us know.

    TQ
     
  5. rlb333333

    rlb333333 Member

    15
    0
    0
    yah,i'd start at the batt,,your missing somethung very simple..broken / fried wire? circuit breaker something..90% of all electrical probs. can be traced to a bad connection! be it connector //grnd..ect..