free website stats program 9 yr olds first Harley Ride! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

9 yr olds first Harley Ride!

I to took my kids around the block when they were younger. Many a time we went to football or baseball practice on two wheels. After my boys got out of 8th grade, I took them a a road trip, they picked the destination. Took my oldest son to Cedar Point in Sandusky OH, middle son and I went to Rocky Mountain National Park and took the youngest son to the Grand Canyon. That was a two week trip and it took a while to convince my wife on that one. It helped that the other two sons kept saying it would be a great trip.

My sons are now 27, 25, and 22. I have many fond memories of those trip and I know they do as well.

Great post.. there is something to special about the first ride, something that you both will remember forever. i still remember mine at 8 yrs old on the back of dad's 55 Honda........hope your saving up for that mini bike he has his eye on. :newsmile036:

Yep, I've created a monster!

Very memorable for both rider and passenger, be they young or old. I recently gave a friend who lives down the street a ride with my gal following on her recently serviced scoot (by you know who) riding shotgun.

Now our neighboor rides with her new boyfriend (also a Harley rider) and she beams every time they visit us and "--the boys talk shop..."! :bigsmiley27:

Hey that's a great read,brought back memories of my Grandfather,he used to let me sit on the back of his old scooter when he put it in the shed on getting home from work if we were visiting.
I can close my eyes to this day & play it through like a video clip,& smell the wet leather of his old jacket & hear the 3 creaks of the rusty hinge on his shed door...50 years down the line!

I to took my kids around the block when they were younger. Many a time we went to football or baseball practice on two wheels. After my boys got out of 8th grade, I took them a a road trip, they picked the destination. Took my oldest son to Cedar Point in Sandusky OH, middle son and I went to Rocky Mountain National Park and took the youngest son to the Grand Canyon. That was a two week trip and it took a while to convince my wife on that one. It helped that the other two sons kept saying it would be a great trip.

My sons are now 27, 25, and 22. I have many fond memories of those trip and I know they do as well.

I really like the road trip Idea when he's a little older. I can already see that this would definately be a memory maker! Thanks for the reply!

Great story! I remember well all the rides I got with my dad on his old Triumph when I was a kid. Also remember getting to steal a solo ride now and then on his Softail when I was in college. I'm 44 now and I think it's safe to say I'm hooked on motorcycles. :s

My youngest daughter is now my biker buddy... She just turned 10 and has been on a couple 30 mile rides. She asked the other day if we could ride the bike to see grandma...650 miles away in Colorado... I guess those short rides are only the tip of the iceberg? :)

It is funny though... My other daughter, who is 13, wants nothing to do with the bike.

Great story! I remember well all the rides I got with my dad on his old Triumph when I was a kid. Also remember getting to steal a solo ride now and then on his Softail when I was in college. I'm 44 now and I think it's safe to say I'm hooked on motorcycles. :s

My youngest daughter is now my biker buddy... She just turned 10 and has been on a couple 30 mile rides. She asked the other day if we could ride the bike to see grandma...650 miles away in Colorado... I guess those short rides are only the tip of the iceberg? :)

It is funny though... My other daughter, who is 13, wants nothing to do with the bike.

remember the mothers curse "when you grow up and have children i hope they turn out just like you" and it really is true......sounds like a nice trip to Colorado...your lucky, my nine year old granddaughter wants to go from Arkansas to Margarita Island in Venezuela...hard to hide the bike from her and think up a reason to say no ....:panic

That was an awesome story. I have a 2yr old son that will wake up at night when I get home from riding or will meet me at the door when he hears me pulling into the drive way. I can't wait until he gets old enough to go riding. I believe he will enjoy every minute of the ride. I may even do like my dad did and get him his first bike at 8 yrs old. Mine was a Honda MR50 Elsinore dirt bike. Lots of good times and stories on that bike.:D

That was an awesome story. I have a 2yr old son that will wake up at night when I get home from riding or will meet me at the door when he hears me pulling into the drive way. I can't wait until he gets old enough to go riding. I believe he will enjoy every minute of the ride. I may even do like my dad did and get him his first bike at 8 yrs old. Mine was a Honda MR50 Elsinore dirt bike. Lots of good times and stories on that bike.:D

You have lots of time to mold that little one into a well respected two-wheeler!

Thanks for all the replies! My son has asked me to take him to school on ole Jeb everyday this week. I wouldn't mind, however, there are some challenges to this request....like where to mount his helmet when he gets off; Where to park so we don't hold up traffic dismounting and de-helmeting (lots of traffic in the mornings), etc. I will figure out something. I definately don't want to discourage him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks :s I like to write and keep a journal of most of my rides so when I get the bike taken away and sent to a home I can read about my adventures and re-live them in my golden years! My daughter is 11 now and I can only pray I am as lucky as you are in regards to her wanting to ride with me.

I keep a journey of every ride we take as well, for the very same reason. I sure wish my dad had been a rider. I never new what life really was until I was 50. Glad your young'un is learning early!:small3d026:

I keep a journey of every ride we take as well, for the very same reason. I sure wish my dad had been a rider. I never new what life really was until I was 50. Glad your young'un is learning early!:small3d026:

Thanks, I see you are from Central MS. I am originally from West Tennessee and now live in South Alabama. I took a trip up to Tenn. a few weeks ago and took an "alternate route" back through part of Mississippi. 45 South through Corinth then down to Columbus. Great road to ride...scenary was different but amazing. It was mostly farm land and very flat. Do you live in this area?

Back