free website stats program 8983 Cam Bearing? | Harley Davidson Forums

8983 Cam Bearing?

Bodeen

Staff member
Contributor
I am gathering parts for a cam cam plate/cam change. Staying chain drive using the S.E. 25284-11 and Andrews cams. It seems the Andrews cam kit comes with a new front outer ball bearing 8990A but not a new rear outer roller bearing 8983.
My question, is there a source for a new 8983 that isnt from HD and doesnt come with the 8990A? The only one I have been able to find is from J&P and I am not sure it is any better quality then the HD part. I do not trust HD and their bearing choices.......

I can buy the kit and have parts left over but it just seems this bearing should available without buying the other........

I just looked at my old plate to see who made the HD roller but it was pressed in backwards so i couldn't see the writing ( the front ball was INA)

S & S has a kit with it in.

Chain Drive Cam Installation Kit

PS I bought my cams seperate from a kit with bearings, gasket, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
So your saying I can buy just the cams and not the other accoutrements? Everything I see has the roller bearing with the cams.....

So your saying I can buy just the cams and not the other accoutrements? Everything I see has the roller bearing with the cams.....

Yes, but I went gear drive. Maybe that's different. I just did some quick searching and seen the cams packaged with both bearings.
Putting these Kits together without having duplicate parts and finding some deals is fustrating.

I wonder if someone like AMS will put together just what u need at a reasonable price..??

Are you going the adjustable pushrod route or going upstairs too?

Both outer bearings are 8990A. 8983 is a bearing assembly (incl. bearing) washer, orings, etc. SOURCE = Ronnies HD parts book. Fueling sells two Timken bearings for $50. And just to add to the confusion Koyo bought Timkin & Torrington. I just replaced inner cam bearings in Nov. they were in a KOYO box, but bearings were marked Timkin.

Yes, but I went gear drive. Maybe that's different. I just did some quick searching and seen the cams packaged with both bearings.
Putting these Kits together without having duplicate parts and finding some deals is fustrating.

I wonder if someone like AMS will put together just what u need at a reasonable price..??

Are you going the adjustable pushrod route or going upstairs too?

Yeah, The picture is not really what you get. You used to get both bearings, now you get one, the ball bearing 8990a. Andrews suggests re-use of the 8983 and that just doesnt make sense to me to re-use if I am already there...

I can get the TW21 kit for $235. Guess I need to buy HD's bearing or buy another kit and have leftovers....:wall

Both outer bearings are 8990A. 8983 is a bearing assembly (incl. bearing) washer, orings, etc. SOURCE = Ronnies HD parts book. Fueling sells two Timken bearings for $50. And just to add to the confusion Koyo bought Timkin & Torrington. I just replaced inner cam bearings in Nov. they were in a KOYO box, but bearings were marked Timkin.

Andrews suggests the roller for the rear and the ball for the front on chain applications. The J&P site suggests the use of part# XXXXX and then it says it doesnt exist...:wall

Yeah, The picture is not really what you get. You used to get both bearings, now you get one, the ball bearing 8990a. Andrews suggests re-use of the 8983 and that just doesnt make sense to me to re-use if I am already there...

I can get the TW21 kit for $235. Guess I need to buy HD's bearing or buy another kit and have leftovers....:wall

$235 is a nice price...too bad only front ball bearing. The 8983 "kit" at Ronnies is $25. (I know--HD bearing)

I just went to garage and pressed that bearing out of my old plate. There are
NO NUMBERS on it at all. That's weird. Could it be that it is made exclusively for HD?

$235 is a nice price...too bad only front ball bearing. The 8983 "kit" at Ronnies is $25. (I know--HD bearing)

I just went to garage and pressed that bearing out of my old plate. There are
NO NUMBERS on it at all. That's weird. Could it be that it is made exclusively for HD?

It can be had in a kit with the other bearing like S&S has. The only other one besides HD is this one at J&P V-Twin Manufacturing Twin Cam Roller Bearings | 433-234 | JP Cycles

Far as I know its the same or worse than the HD product.
I'll probably just get the S&S kit and be done with it. Amazon.com: SS Cycle Chain Drive Cam Installation Kit 33-5175: Automotive

Back