free website stats program '89 ultra turn signals/lighting | Harley Davidson Forums

'89 ultra turn signals/lighting

rddrill44

Hi, I'm new here, been reading some good stuff. been rebuilding '89 Ultra. When I got to changing out signal lights for newer looking FLH-X lights. I have all lights hooked up. With Run switch off and ignition on all lights work except HL Hi-beam, then turn signals both start blinking one side brighter than the others. Is it the TSM, Also in my trouble shooting the power wires to the signal lights all seem to have .3 to 1 Ohm to ground, These wires in my mind should have no continuity at all ???? Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks

Did you open up the left switch housing, or move the clutch lever perch or front brake master cylinder. You could have some pinched wires at one of the switch housings.

Yes I checked the master cyl side but not the clutch lever side yet. I'll do that tomorrow. I should not have that continuity though , should I? Thanks for the reply

Last edited:
I have removed CB, Cruise, Cassette deck and all their respective harnesses. The wiring systems I have mostly been working on are the Signal lights and front running lights. It must be a crossed or pinched wire in controls switches I'm thinking. Need to get it right before hooking up new ignition system, don't want to possibly burn up that module. Thanks for info. RD

Also in my trouble shooting the power wires to the signal lights all seem to have .3 to 1 Ohm to ground, These wires in my mind should have no continuity at all ????

Those readings are correct. Your reading continuity from the power side of the bulb, through the filament and into ground. The resistance your reading is the same resistance you would read if you placed your meter directly across the bulb.

If you remove the bulb, you would then read infinity like your expecting.

Back