free website stats program 89 FLTCU crank breather oil issue | Harley Davidson Forums

89 FLTCU crank breather oil issue

cruiser66

Purchased a 89 FLTCU with 17k miles last September, started bike the other day for the first time this year, and had some oil flow from crank breather line into air cleaner. Probably about 2-3 ounces, after initial flow, oil stopped. Any ideas? Thanks

Since your oil tank is above the oil pump, and it's been more than 7 months since it has been started, I'd guess that some oil leaked past the check valve in the pump and into the crankcase. If you don't notice this happening after short periods (days) of not running, and it's only a small amount , I wouldn't worry about it. If it is more, or happens all the time, do a search in the tips and help section for oil pump sumping on what to do about it.

I have a 89 FLHTCU, had it 19 years and it's done the samething as your's at spring start up 3 or 4 years. Don't worry it's something the old ones do. ENJOY the RIDE. :s

You can reseat the check valve in the pump easy and replace the ball that should do it:s

Back