free website stats program 89 flstc backfiring and cutting off | Harley Davidson Forums

89 flstc backfiring and cutting off

blgrass

Had the stator,rotor and regulator/rectifier replaced bike ran like a champ.Three weeks later it started backfiring and cutting off.Nest day while riding it to the mechanic it ran smooth until i would give it more gas and it would backfire let off and it would ran fine long as i would not goose it.Found the voes wire insulation had come off and both wires touching,replaced the voes and cleaned out the carb. bowl and started it back up and it would do the same thing run a little and when you give it the gas it would backfire and would die,then i would cut the switch off and back on and i would have power agin and it would start up.They think that the ing.module is bad and want to try points and condenser. Give me a little insight what might be going on and what you think about the points and condenser

Before you start changing ignition parts, I suggest you remove the carb, and thoroughly clean it.

If you take this route, and take the carb off the bike to do it, I suggest changing out the boots and gaskets on the intake manifold at the heads and the one at the carb. May not be the problem, but on a 20 year old bike, worth doing.

When you take the carb apart, inspect everything carefully for condition. Also go ahead and replace the accelerator pump diaphragm and all those bits (kit). Since it seems like your bike was running well, I would keep the same jets and all, just clean everything well.

CARBURETOR - 1987 TO 1989 - 1989 Harley Davidson FLSTC

While you are doing all that, you might want to drain and inspect the inside of your gas tank. When empty, remove the tank shut-off valve and inspect/clean or replace the strainer. I would replace the supply hose and the hose to the VOES.

If you do all this and you still have a problem, I think you have elimiated the fuel side as the source. Then you might want to focus on the ignition side. If you have to do something there, you may want to consider an aftermarket electronic ignition system changing out the existing system and the coil.

TQ

tank has been drained and flushed and only the bowl of the carb.has been removed.Going to today to read the resistance on the plug wires and coil and if no problem the carb.Will be torn down.And the boots and gaskets have already been replaced

I had a similar problem with my 91 softail... turned out it was my ignition switch..over the years the brass contacts corroded just enough to degrade the connection. I removed the chrome acorn nut on the dash, screws holding the brass switch in place and a bit of disassembly of the switch assembly. I used a wire brush and a bit of fine sandpaper to remove any carbon on the contact area. Put some di-electric grease on the contacts, re-assembled and it never acted up again!

Thanks for all of the suggestions.Found out today it was the ingition module and had it replaced with points/cond. From the old school and love the lope and easy fix on the road. Again thanks for the suggestions

One more thing.Does anybody have any idea with harley went from points to eletronics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back