free website stats program 883L - 2 up or not 2 up? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

883L - 2 up or not 2 up?

Rawldyman, one final thing, an 883 is basically 900cc motorcycle, not all that "small" back in the day and though todays' standards like to push 1000 cc and other big inch bore bikes, you will be fine for "casual" two up riding. Only when you want to push the envelope in endurance or speed will you start hitting the limits. So keep those wheels moving, your experience will determine if and when any changes are needed.

eh sportys are not as bad as some people make out for 2 up riding just change the shocks and seat and have fun my ex never complained and we rode everywhere it just takes a bit of organizing when theres 2 of you with tent, 2 swags and the rest of the gear makes things interesting but all in all its still fun

Any concerns I had about this have been allayed by the excellent advice I've got on this site - thank you one & all!! Lookin forward to gettin on the road...

I've got an 883xl cutom, and my girl and I ride that thing around everywhere. I'd go so far as to say for some reason, it handles better with the extra weight on it. However, I must ALSO say that I'm 130 lbs, and she's about 105...lol

2up is OK for around town. Your passenger will let you know how far out of town you'll go. Once.

I ride an 883L and sometimes 2x with the wife. I put on a Sundowner seat and a backrest when she wants to hop on. I weigh 300 and the wife weighs about 150. The bike handles it okay, but I do have heavy duty Progressive rear shocks and my front end is raked and extended and has Progressive fork springs with extra pre-load. Before I modded out my bike, it bottomed out a lot with the stock suspension.

We are planning on getting a trike for the long trips (which for us is rare). You and your wife will be able to adjust to the ride ... but there ARE much better bikes for 2x riding.

I'm not sure why everyone here is saying that the low models don't handle very well. This is not my experiance at all. My wife and I have put several miles on my 883L. I've put a different seat on it and thats it. Shocks are set up, I weigh 185 and my wife is 105. We have had no problems. As far as the lower bikes not handleing aswell, who wants to prove this to me? A lower bike will corner better than a taller bike.

I'm not sure why everyone here is saying that the low models don't handle very well. This is not my experiance at all. My wife and I have put several miles on my 883L. I've put a different seat on it and thats it. Shocks are set up, I weigh 185 and my wife is 105. We have had no problems. As far as the lower bikes not handleing aswell, who wants to prove this to me? A lower bike will corner better than a taller bike.

A lowerd bike will place the foot pegs closer to the ground and they will touch the road at a lower incline than a standard height bike also suspension travel has been reduced on a lowerd bike giving a harsher ride
however these points depend on your road conditions and the type of riding that you do
sport bikes tend to move the foot pegs up and to the rear to improve ground clearence and lean angle
as i live in the north of scotland and the roads tend to follow the contours of the land then the lean angle of the bike can be important as well as shifting of body weight to maintain a smooth run

Brian

Back