free website stats program 883L - 2 up or not 2 up? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

883L - 2 up or not 2 up?

Must say the advice here is very helpful & encouraging - thanks to all!
The thing that concerned me initially was that the manual (under the section headed "Suspension") specifically states that the 883Low, unlike other 883's, is designed for solo riding and if 2 up is being considered then you should consult your dealer.
When I did this I was told "adjust the shocks & you'll be fine"....! Certainly not as informative or helpful as the advice on this forum.
Bubbie, not sure what you mean by your question about the "Low". The stock 883L has a lower seat height and ground clearance than all the others - that's just the way it is, presumably to attract smaller riders like me who's 5 feet 8".
I'll adjust the shocks & see how it goes. If it turns out that better shocks are needed, any suggestions on make or spec?

Good call Rawldyman...here in SoCal both of us are 5'6" 5'4" respectively with combined weight about 280lbs and with lowered XL1200R, have to crank up the rear preload to max. when two up...as setup is similar to the Low. When all is said and done, you have to setup the bike for your riding style. In the future, if you stick with the bike, going to a 1" longer shock will give you great benefits by Progressive Suspension (they have great staff & selection) getting it dialed in at a cost is under $350 for the pair of shocks. You can also go to 7.5Wt Fork Oil in the front (stock HD is 5Wt)...you should be good to go!:s

I've never rode a sporty, but I can say that I am 5'7" and I am very comfortable on my softail. Just for down the road if you are worried about moving up. :s

Must say the advice here is very helpful & encouraging - thanks to all!
The thing that concerned me initially was that the manual (under the section headed "Suspension") specifically states that the 883-Low, unlike other 883's, is designed for solo riding and if 2 up is being considered then you should consult your dealer.
When I did this I was told "adjust the shocks & you'll be fine"....! Certainly not as informative or helpful as the advice on this forum.
Bubbie, not sure what you mean by your question about the "Low". The stock 883L has a lower seat height and ground clearance than all the others - that's just the way it is, presumably to attract smaller riders like me who's 5 feet 8".
I'll adjust the shocks & see how it goes. If it turns out that better shocks are needed, any suggestions on make or spec?

IF THE SHOCKS ARE SET ON UP POSITION THAT SHOULD DO THE TRICK....
AND YES LOW IS PROBABLY WHAT YOU NEED.....

What i meant was IF NOT NEEDED LOW......

SOME OF THE BIKES OF TODAY, ARE JUST MADE TO CATCH THE EYE AND SELL......
HD brings out the LOW and that bike is NOT the best RIDE,,,, BUT with shorter people it is a MUST.....

The L word or LOW suspension on a bike USUALLY will not "GIVE" ENOUGH to allow for the BEST ride of a NORMAL HEIGHT bike...

THAT being said.... to ME it is crazy to have a LOW anything when wanting a good ride...

IN THE OLD DAYS: YOU would LOWER a car JUST FOR LOOKS and that was OKAY....
BUT didn't expect a great ride,,, after all IT WAS LOOKS YOU WERE AFTER.....

BIKES AND RIDERS of today do the SAME : IMHO

MOST, for the purpose LOWERING-MODIFYING THEIR RIDES for LOOKS,,, miss the boat for quality of the RIDE......

If you NEED the bike to be LOWER for SAFETY AND FIT that is another thing.... you may have to live with it!

MY old school EXAMPLES:

OH MAN AIN'T THAT COOL, LOOK HOW LOW IT IS TO THE GROUND.....

LOOK AT HOW FAR THAT FRONT END STICKS OUT, MUST BE 9 FEET LONG ....

MAN THEM BIG TIRES SURE MAKE IT LOOK NICE....

WONDER IF THE SEAT CAN BE THINNED OUT A LITTLE TO GET IT LOWER TO THE GROUND LOOK......

I'LL PUT THEM BARS UP TO THE SKY AND MAN AM I COOL....

GRANTED for LOOKS I like some BUT

I come form the OLD SCHOOL of RIDING..... I want something SAFE and the closer to STOCK without changing the engineering and design geometry that went into the bike for that NORMAL SAFE RIDE...

I'll usually put about 3,5 thousand $ in extras and chrome but I leave the MAIN DESIGN ALONE.....

I DON'T BAR HOP MY BIKE AND NEVER HAVE.. THE BAR IS FOR THE CAR..

I RIDE my bike and PUT MILES ON IT...
I USED TO HATE TO STOP FOR GAS, BUT WITH THE 6 GAL TANK on the FLHR, IT'S MORE FOR THE STRETCH NEEDED in my legs not the FRAME....

The newer bikes of today HAVE RIGHT FROM HARLEY been given a lot of UN SAFE DESIGNS and mostly are for LOOKS and SALES and are not for ME....

just my way.....

DON'T CALL ME THAT!!! IT WILL GET YOU IN TROUBLE with GLIDER.....

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for that info NEWHD74FAN. I'll adjust the shocks and if the ride quality is'nt good enough I may well invest in new ones.
Now I just need to get a lid for the missus and we're off!

Hi - 07' 883L here as well - have it setup with a sundowner seat for two up with my wife

its OK, however took wife out on a Softtail Classic last summer and she prefers it

I like my sporty and get to keep it (installing stage 1 this winter) wifes wants me to get Softtail for two up'ing with her

The sportster will do it, but the ride is nicer on some of the others

Not a bad way to go Steve B. getting two bikes...but at my house I know not to push a position without a strong hand...rather roll dice and lose the roll than the whole game. Spend way too much time grooming my gal for sucess than experience a setback...! :p

Hi Steve
So you've gone 2 up with the same bike - I've got the Sundowner seat as well. How did you find the handling? What's it like on bumpy side roads? Did you do max pre-load for 2 up & then change it back for solo? Really interested to get your view.

Guess what!
After all that, I've just discovered in the HD catalogue that a heavy duty shock for 2 up riding IS available, specifically for the 883L (& 1200N). Suppose that's the first place I should've looked....live & learn...
Anyway, thanks to all for advice.

The “low” models have shorter rear shocks from the factory (typically 11” eye-eye) so offer precious little suspension travel. Considering your combined weight, if you adjust the shocks to the max preload you will be fine for brief trips.

If you experience excessive bottoming and want to do extended two-up touring you can purchase a cheap set of standard-length Sportster shocks (typically 13” eye-eye) on eBay. I had to do this on my 2003 Hugger because our combined weight is 420 pounds. Made a world of difference.

Once your wife gets hooked on touring, as my wife did, she will be the one insisting you move up to a big twin. There is much more room available for the passenger.

Back