free website stats program 883 | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hi all

brilliant, thanks guys. dont thnk ive ever had to ask so many stupid question and yet got nothing but really great and helpful replys.

your all stars in my eyes

ride safe

kev

hi all
more questions !!!!

i notice that most harleys have some sort of pull back handle bars and feet forwards pegs.
is this because as standard they have an uncomfortable or unsuitable riding posistion or is it just a look that most harley owners like?
this may sound daft but here in the uk its not a popular posistion on bikes.

thanks

Most Motorcycles in UK are sport type motorcycles that have rear set pegs and low bars this makes for an uncomfortable riding position till there is sufficient wind coming over the screen to lift body weight off the wrists and shoulders normally around 90 mph till 130 mph would be comfortable on the sports bikes tucking elbows in would drop the body on to the tank and further into the air bubble behind the screen for 130 mph + riding
However speed limit is 70 mph
When you sit in a chair or in a car your feet are in front of you and in a car steering wheel is within easy reach
Similar position on most harleys this is a comfortable position to sit in for long periods of time and if speed is kept down there is not too much strain on the arms by adding a screen to protect from the wind 70 mph all day long is easily achievable

Brian

hi all
more questions !!!!

i notice that most harleys have some sort of pull back handle bars and feet forwards pegs.
is this because as standard they have an uncomfortable or unsuitable riding posistion or is it just a look that most harley owners like?
this may sound daft but here in the uk its not a popular posistion on bikes.

thanks

Stretching out on a smaller bike like the Sportser is a good thing on long rides

Check some pics of NEWHD74FAN profile. I believe he's got the set up with standard and forward pegs.

I came from a sportbike back ground and was looking for a "standard" bike like a Triumph Bonnie or similar. When I rode the Sporty with forward controls, I instantly fit the bike.

It's really just a matter of comfort. Different strokes......

Same thing with ape hanger handle bars or drag bars. Not for everyone but, some wouldn't have it any other way.

.....not to sure about the feet forward for cumuting around town though!!
kev

You might surprise yourself at how quick you get used to forwards. I had mids on my 883 and was a little apprehensive about switching to forwards when changing to a custom (I do a lot of town riding). Turned out to be no problem at all, and, more comfort.

Back