free website stats program 883 | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

hi all

right , next silly question!!

when buying an 883 what should i look out for?
you know the sort of thing, if it does this or sounds like this. just walk away!

please be understanding here, im not an idiot. just know nothing at all about harleys.

looking for what to avoid.

thanks

kev

the 883 is a model that has been going as long as i have so perhaps you need to be a wee bit more specific on the age group of 883 you want to look at

Brian

hi all

right , next silly question!!

when buying an 883 what should i look out for?
you know the sort of thing, if it does this or sounds like this. just walk away!

please be understanding here, im not an idiot. just know nothing at all about harleys.

looking for what to avoid.

thanks

kev

This depends on mechanical skills and price range also. New models are nice with fuel injection, the only down side I see is newer models have no trap door to make transmission work easy

I absolutely loved my 883. It was a great bike and fun to ride. I got 50 mpg on it. The only reason I don't still have it is that I traded it to my dad for his Springer Classic as it was getting hard for him to ride due to the weight and arthritis in his clutch hand. Since the engine is relatively unchanged from its beginning, it still has a classic sound to it and the motor is pretty much bullet proof.

RUBBER MOUNTED engine is a NEEDED Feature... Not sure of when they started ??? 2004? 05?

Low mileage is anything around and under 4000. A lot of sporty bikes were bought and never ridden much (your gain IF a newer model)...

Get a color you like , it is not cheap to paint.

Make sure the service was done on time and properly, you should be fine IF a low mileage bike...

IF it has any aftermarket parts, DON'T pay a lot extra, lots of Low priced 883 out there and stage one may have been installed...

I'd stay away from a Hot Rod (built up) model because it was probably driven accordingly that way.

ALL 06's and before had Carbs (which I prefer) and the 07's and on, ALL had fuel-injection, NO carbs.

signed....BUBBIE

There are so many different variants of the 883 it's tough to steer you in the right direction.

I like the "R" models with dual front disc brakes. Classic peanut tank, cast wheels front and back. Introduced in 2002.

2004 frame beefed up and engine rubber mounted, tranny trap door eliminated.

Fuel injection 2007.

Second choice would be the Iron 883.

Can't speak of pricing and availability in the UK but, from someone that loves Sportsters, my preference would really be to skip the 883 and go to a used 1200 R or XR where someone has already done the stage 1 upgrades to the exhaust and a/c.

Good luck.

cheers bubbie, great reply. much need info . top man
why dont you like the fuel injection models? thats what i was loking at getting.

Last edited:
thanks nakkers, why straight to the bigger bike, why not the 883? im not after a performance bike.
whats with the stage one or two? what does it do?
what involved in the upgrade?
sure this will affect the fuel consumption?

Last edited:
From the factory the HD motorcycles run lean this is due to environmental requirements most owners do a stage 1 upgrade with a more open air cleaner a more open exhaust system and a fueller that will add some more fuel to compensate for the more air from open air cleaner and exhaust as this stage 1 will cost about £1000 if it has already been done you can save a few pennies

Brian

thanks fin
does the stage one effect the mpg much ?

if so buy how much?

so whats the stage two?

thanks

kev

Last edited:
Back