free website stats program 883 to 1200 question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

883 to 1200 question

I disagree with the rest of the people about choosing the lower compression. When I first did my conversion to a 1200, I went with the 10.0:1 1200 kit. Kit that I purchased included the reverse dome pistons, pins, gaskets,rings etc. 10.0:1 compression is not going to be an issue considering the gas, if you use premium (at least 91 octane).

In my opinion, I did not like that set up by itself. I opted later to go with a set of SE heads, SE cams, (.497), 10.5:1 SE flat top pistons, bored .005 over, SE perfect fit push rods. Now we are talking about some power. Up to you. OH yeah, almost forgot, I put an SE selectable ignition with SE coil, and plugs. Questions?

Agreed. Harleys love compression!

I'm confused again :panic ... i'm placing order to get 883 1200big bore cylinder kit and i see a comment from seller in catalog: we recommend use of adjustable pushrods with installation of Bigborekit...
question is ... what the difference from standart pushrods? do i need those adjustable ones also?
Mechanicl who will support me on this conversion said that he can not think why adjustable ones whould be better preferable?

I'm confused again :panic ... i'm placing order to get 883 1200big bore cylinder kit and i see a comment from seller in catalog: we recommend use of adjustable pushrods with installation of Bigborekit...
question is ... what the difference from standart pushrods? do i need those adjustable ones also?
Mechanicl who will support me on this conversion said that he can not think why adjustable ones whould be better preferable?

adjustable push rods are great when doing a Cams replacement and not tearing into the upper end like you are.

When you USE adjustable Push Rods, IT affords you LESS tear-down on the motor IF not taking apart the Upper End LIKE you will be doing.....(.)

I would say IN your case You Can USE the original push rods but ,,,,BUT I prefer to use the adjustables.(.) I like the Idea that I can take the motor apart Later EASIER if Needed.
Also, I like the IDEA of FINE TUNING the adjustment of the hyd-lifters.. That Can't be done with HD's ONE Size fits ALL.

I like at least 10/1 compression and Using the Stock 883 heads....
I have use 10.5 wiseco pistons and found them to be a little HIGH for the OTHER bikers but with ME they worked fine..

I would use the Wiseco pistons and feel good about the size up to 1200 cc. as enough. 1250 I have no experience with.. If no other machining of the cases is needed 1250cc would work good..

signed....BUBBIE

i see a comment from seller in catalog: we recommend use of adjustable pushrods with installation of Bigborekit...
question is ...

When your "Totem polling" several new parts together, you don't know what your overall stack height will be especially if using different gaskets. It is nice not to have to worry or deal with that problem.

When your "Totem polling" several new parts together, you don't know what your overall stack height will be especially if using different gaskets. It is nice not to have to worry or deal with that problem.

Good Call Hoop. The Cylinders Could be a different hight and head gaskets the same,,, So the original HD rods might NOT be the best replacement.. That is even a better reason than my thinking.. Thanks.

Did you fine that in a BOOK/MAG You must have sore eyes from all the reading?

signed....BUBBIE

Did you fine that in a BOOK/MAG You must have sore eyes from all the reading?

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie as a matter of fact I did. It is a good thing the article was not copyrighted because I would be in trouble with Donny Petersen..:D

Also when Totem Polling as Hoople has stated, it may not sound like a big deal, but measure your intake , just ask some one who built a stroker, it can make a slight enough change you may not notice until you start to run lean:s

I agree with johnny ... i did the 10.0:1 on mine and don't have any problems nor do i regret it after riding my friends with the 9.5:1 mine performs much better than his .... :newsmile03:

Back