free website stats program 883 R oil leak | Harley Davidson Forums

883 R oil leak

rdh1145

I have a small oil leak from the rocker box on the real cylinder. Just enough to make a puddle on the engine cases , leaks when on side stand until oil is gone from box.
Is there any way to fix this with out dropping the motor to replace gasket ?:eam
Bike runs great , about 13000 miles , never any problems other than the oil leak. Seemed to get worst when I changed oil and used Syn 3.
Appreciate any info !
Ron

You can get to the bolts but it is very close without moving anything. It's possible to unbolt and remove the front mount to gain a bit more room. Not the easiest job but can be done without much problems. Just make sure to use quality seals when you do it , check for any warping in the covers and torque the bolts properly when you replace them.

If your bike has a solid mount engine it was fairly common for the lower rocker gasket to leek oil
gaskets can be changed with the engine in the frame but it is difficult to get to some of the bolts but there is just enough room to do it
lower gasket should be one piece metal gasket the two peice paper one did all the leeking
read the task up in the service manual not a difficult job at all can be done in a couple of hours

Brian

never any problems other than the oil leak. Seemed to get worst when I changed oil and used Syn 3.
Appreciate any info !
Ron

What kind of oil were you useing???

What kind of oil were you useing???

The bike had 20/50 Harley oil .

I have been using Syn . in my Road King since they started selling it . I bought the 883 used and have put about 3000 miles on it . When I got it , I could see a small trace of oil on the case below , it looked like it might be seeping down there . It never leaks enough to drip on the floor , but it is worse.
Thanks to all for the feedback

Back