free website stats program 883 iron sportster not for me?! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

883 iron sportster not for me?!

With the right parts/accessories...any bike can be made to fit. I say, test a few and get what "you" want/prefer. Never let the sales staff steer your decision.

Now, with that being said, also consider riding experience b/c I had a female co-worker set on getting herself a Softail & she ended up with Sportster. Her prior riding was all 4-wheeler & dirt bikes so it was a better fit for her experience and frame (petit). Not saying she couldn't handle the Softail...she just needed riding miles to gain confidence on hard surfaces.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386812914.373853.jpglove my 883 iron. I'm 5'5 190 and it runs faster than I need it to. Good luck! Thanks for your service!!!!

Hey buddy, Soldier here also, Ft Bragg, NC. Charlie Mike to Afghan, if you didn't know, while overseas, AAFES has a harley dealer over there. you will run across the first one in Kuwait at Ali Al Salim or Camp Bheuring/Virginia. Then once you get to Afghan, the larger bases also have them (KAF, BAF) You can purchase a new bike while over there at a great discount, as well as tax free. The dealership nearest your home will take delivery of the bike and store it for you until you go home on R&R or redeploy to pick it up. You also get way better financing terms while deployed. Something to think about :)

Now, as for the scoot, I have a sportster 1200 Custom. Same size as the 883, bigger tank though, lol. But I'm 6 foot and 200 lbs. It does feel a little small and a little top heavy, but its quick around town. Long rides kinda suck but I have a highway bar and highway pegs to stretch out on. I also have the extended foot controls. They are extended a little further out from the bike as well as a little forward. Makes it more comfy. Also the beach bars that come stock suck. I have to lean forward too much. Trying to find me a set of mini apes to slap on it. They bring the bars up to our level. But for guys our size, At a minimum I would recommend a Street Bob. They start at around 13,500 but deployed you might be able to get one around 11,500. Just keep eyeballing them. If anything, make your decision while deployed and buy one in Kuwait right before you get back. Plus you'll have all that deployment cash burnin a hole in your pocket....

Keep in mind, salesmen will ALWAYS say whatever they think is necessary to get you to spend an extra buck. Be weary of the "$3,000 worth of free chrome" scam. It will end up running you around 5 grand in the long run. Don't accept any extra junk they offer, except the Warranty... thats about the only thing worth the extra dough.

I have a 04 883 forward controls drag bars im 5-11 198 my wife rides with me we like it only thing im doing is the 883 to 1200 conversion kit. thanks for your service to keep us free, ride hard brother

im 6'1 and I'm in the Army stationed over here in Germany, i just got a 2014 883, and man does it fly!!! i love it!!! good luck on ur Deployment!

Back