free website stats program 883 iron sportster not for me?! | Harley Davidson Forums

883 iron sportster not for me?!

Nates0819

So I went into a local HD dealership to get some ideas on what I want. (I'm deploying to afghan-land in a couple days) so in wont be purchasing till I return. An the gentleman told me an iron sportster 883 is made for small frame men and woman. Like 120lbs. I'm 6' 225lbs. This true? He recommended a super glide.( I want a seat fort wife also). What do you all think? Thanks in advance!
-Nate

The Sporster is a fine ride and one of the quickest bikes in the Harley lineup. That being said for someone of your size you might be more comfortable on one of the larger framed Big Twins. If you will be riding two up you might want to look at the touring line or maybe the FLSTC.

883 is a great choice for just hopping around. Just be sure to way out all your options of what you and the Misses are expecting out of bike. So the sales man might be trying to off set a situation where you are disappointed with the 883 and end up trading it in because it can not do what you need it to....:s
There is nothing like a heavy bike...

I love the Sportster and when my wife and I younger and poorer it was just fine to ride. I think they are a bargain too in the Harley line. But you can get an older Dyna in the same price range too. We always say this but it bears repeating a private seller can be less expensive.

You'll get good advice from the forum members here, I just wanted to say, good luck and be safe with your deployment. Thank you for your service.

I have an Iron 883 and it hauls me and the lady around fine. I'm 6'1" and 180 pounds and she's about 120 pounds. To be comfortable on the bike I had to install forward controls, taller bars, and got a more comfortable mustang seat. Just my preference but not necessarily needed. With said modifications my only complaint is range on the 3.3 gallon tank. If its the bike you like then don't let the dealer sway you he's probably more interested in the money difference! They are nice bikes for what they are made for (short trips). Thanks for your service! Be safe

Dealer test rides, better yet rentals would be the way to go here, Thank you for your service:s

I bought a 1987 1100 sporty new and I still own it. I did smack it up a bit when I hit a bear about ten years ago, fixed it up and it runs great. That being said I bought it when I was 29. I could ride that forever back then, now I wish I bought something a little bigger. It's great for around town but it gets a little uncomfortable on longer rides. I'm 5' 9" and 160 so maybe you should go with something a little larger, good luck.

Don`t know about the 883 but my young lad brought home a new 72-1200 demo bike one night from work so had to take for ride - 1/8 of mile & decided seat was uncomfortable .riding position didn`t fit me either 5-9 145lbs . with small tank he had to fill it twice to get home and back to work . The only thing I really look for after my ride was the wings because this bike flew- city/town bike ya - long ride no way . he fell in love with the 72 until he rode it. now he thinks bigger bike & tank to keep up with mom & dad

Salesman tried to convince me NOT to get a Sporty. I have been eying the iron as my first bike for a while. Never regretted it! Different strokes for different folks! ;)

Back