free website stats program 883 Custom vs. Yamaha | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

883 Custom vs. Yamaha

Nakkers does have a point, as brand Y is a bit of a stretch for most here...! As for EFI, it is the wave of the future, but I chose my HD to be an '04 mainly because it had all the new tech 'cept it was carbureted...I like simple and it is "toilet bowl" technology wise, which is very simple...and the CV carb Keihein is stone ax reliable having been on HD engines for over 24 years, giving them plenty of time to work out the nits!

Great link, very informative. I'm not considering Brand Y, it's just the only bike I've owned to compare to anything. What did the 883 Custom sell for new in '09? There's one for sale here, mint, 99 miles, for 10 grand. I think that's probably more than it cost new and it doesn't have any extras. What gives?

The 883 Low does have limited rear suspension travel so, that might be something to consider with the roads. The peg feelers tend to find the pavement pretty early too. The standard sporty's suspension isn't everyone's cup of tea either but, it's better than the low.

I'm a pre-rubber mount and find it does just fine. If you get an 04-05, you get rubber mount and carbed which might be better for self tuning. But you'll find others that support EFI tuning just as well...I wouldn't rule out a Dyna or soft tail. Fat Boy lo should be on the radar.

They are not as big as you might think...just food for thought. As for Yamaha, best to check out a Yamaha forum. You'll be hard pressed to find an opinion of a Yamaha that is favorable over an HD here. :p

I do like the Dynaglide, but a lot more $$$. Is the 883 Custom a better choice than the Low? Limited suspension travel would not be a good thing with potholes the size of a small lake! I plan to avoid them, but just in case...

Last edited by a moderator:
What did the 883 Custom sell for new in '09? There's one for sale here, mint, 99 miles, for 10 grand. I think that's probably more than it cost new and it doesn't have any extras. What gives?[/QUOTE]

What gives ---- someone thinks they can get that price due to your location --- JMO here!!! A new 2009 stock 883 custom at the dealer ---- somewhere bewteen, est. $7k to 8k.(could even be less than that???) Check out the HD website or go to NADA / Kelly Blue Book and do a quick search.

Is the 883 Custom a better choice than the Low? Limited suspension travel would not be a good thing with potholes the size of a small lake! I plan to avoid them, but just in case...

I think the 883 Custom would be fine and if you still find the suspension a bit soft, you can change out the shocks/springs at a reasonable cost and suit your needs. The low has less travel to work with.

And if the standard height of the bike is a bit tall, you can look at a different seat to bring it back down a bit.

Can't really say what a good price is where you live. Sure, we can quote US/Canadian pricing but, what does the shop there pay to import? They might be jacking the price just because it is HD of course.

Maybe check out shipping costs and buy from the US yourself?

At the end of the day, you gotta test ride to make sure......

^ We don't have a shop, unfortunately. This is just a person selling theirs that they brought down when they moved here.

I'd end up paying about $500 to get one here from Miami. Just found out on the H-D website a new 2011 883 Iron is only $7,999. So yes, 10 grand is a rip off for a stock 883 Custom. I love the looks of the 883 Custom. Since I don't want to add $600 to the price by flying up to Miami for a test drive I will end up buying a used one sight-unseen. I'm sure I'll love it. H-D even has used ones for sale at dealerships on the website. Nice!!

Crucian, if you are going to pay $7,999 you should be able to get a 1200 Custom for that amount of change for 2006 (last year of the carbed ones). So do look around, patience is a virtue and it is a buyers market right now. I like Craigs' List because you find bikes in your area, can meet at a "neutral" site...like DMV or Bank parking lot, fill out the transfer/title paperwork, and complete the deal with no games.

Crucian, if you are going to pay $7,999 you should be able to get a 1200 Custom for that amount of change for 2006 (last year of the carbed ones). So do look around, patience is a virtue and it is a buyers market right now. I like Craigs' List because you find bikes in your area, can meet at a "neutral" site...like DMV or Bank parking lot, fill out the transfer/title paperwork, and complete the deal with no games.

FYI, He's located in the Caribbean.

With the little bit of time I have spent on islands, I would have to seriously look at the dual sports. No, it's not the same as a Harley, (if you can swing the Harley, go for it), but the terrain and conditions of many of the roads may make a dual sport a more practical choice. :s

Almost most people complain that the 883 is too small power wise. I would suggest getting the 1200 in either low or custom. But would agree on the dual sport if road conditions warrant as HD in general are not very pothole friendly.

Almost most people complain that the 883 is too small power wise. I would suggest getting the 1200 in either low or custom. But would agree on the dual sport if road conditions warrant as HD in general are not very pothole friendly.

What is a dual sport?

I'm sure the 883 will be plenty powerful. I ride sloooooww. It will likely never see speeds over 40-45 mph, and that might be for 20-30 seconds at the most. Lots of sharp curves, goats in the road, cyclists, potholes to dodge, etc.

This aint the Bahamas, guys. This is St. Croix, the ghetto of the Caribbean. The roads are one step better than gravel. Imagine pouring asphalt over gravel and running short on asphalt. The Michelins on my F-150 have 7,000 gentle miles on them and are at 60% tread, if that. The guys on the road crews need to make sure they don't run out of work so they they don't get too close to getting things done.

An Army Tank would be the best thing to have for these roads, but that wouldn't be any fun. :rofl

What is a dual sport?

I'm sure the 883 will be plenty powerful. I ride sloooooww. It will likely never see speeds over 40-45 mph, and that might be for 20-30 seconds at the most. Lots of sharp curves, goats in the road, cyclists, potholes to dodge, etc.

This aint the Bahamas, guys. This is St. Croix, the ghetto of the Caribbean. The roads are one step better than gravel. Imagine pouring asphalt over gravel and running short on asphalt. The Michelins on my F-150 have 7,000 gentle miles on them and are at 60% tread, if that. The guys on the road crews need to make sure they don't run out of work so they they don't get too close to getting things done.

An Army Tank would be the best thing to have for these roads, but that wouldn't be any fun. :rofl

A duelsport is typically a dirtbike set up for the road. Not a dirtbike with lights but, it's basic design is based on dirt but, made for street and dirt. Thus, duel sport.

Kawasaki's KLR would be one example.

Thinking about the roads, you might consider the type of rims. The Custom has a narrow 21" rim with not much rubber. The IRON has 19" front with a little more tire but, cast wheels that might get damaged with a good pot hole. However, cast wheels do allow for plugging punctures. The 883 low does have a 19" front and both rims are spoked. Might be a little more durable/servicable for the environment?

Maybe I'm over thinking it???? Time for a coffee......

Back