88 to 95

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by roadrashman, Apr 19, 2010.

1. roadrashman

roadrashman Member

I have a 05 RK with FI. I want to buy the 95in big bore kit. My question is can I use the stock heads or not.

2. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

yes you can but ya should think on a port and polish job

3. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Account Removed

sure,no prob.some headwork would defenatly help though.depends on what your looking to get out of it(mild or wild)

4. Mattman4403

Mattman4403 Junior Member

Yep, stock heads will work fine. i agre with the other two guys, it is a good time to clean up the heads. Good opportunity for port and polish. You will gain some more with cleaning up the flow in the heads.

5. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

My words are a little different...
    I would go with a "Known Good Shop" and have the heads Ported and Flowed then only polish the exhaust ports. I believe the intake is best left smooth but not Polished,, Better Gas-Air turbulence

just my way.
    signed....BUBBIE

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Good head shop can trim down valve guides for better flow and as Bubbie says leave the intake alone , too smooth is a bad thing here

7. Thorns

Thorns Active Member

What others have said, but also the valve seals on the 05 cylinder heads were iffy, and some had some issues with leaking oil. If you have the heads off, maybe you should look at exchanging them with some of the head porters, or having them reworked. But, stock heads will work just fine with the big bore kit.

Thorns

8. chuckyd1

chuckyd1 Member

On the street porting is a good thing, but polished is a waste of time. On the intake you want a little turbulance to keep the fuel in suspension, and in the exhaust, if you polish, carbon will coat the ports within 3-500 miles and there won't be anymore polish anyway. You do want to smooth things out, and remove rough spots giving as straight a shot into and out of the head as possible. polishing works best on a race motor that is taken apart regularly.

9. dcfatboy

dcfatboy Active Member

I would suggest 96" BB from AMS and their heads if you are looking for "mild".

10. FishHunter

FishHunter Active Member

No need to stop at 95", as Wiseco manufactures pistons to allow cylinder boring to 98", and the 96" to 107" as well.
    That, combined with the proper cylinder heads modifications, and a cam as simple as a Wood 6, and you could expect 110/110, to be within reach, with a good pipe, tuned correctly.:)