free website stats program 88 FLHTC Won't stop cranking - solenoid change | Harley Davidson Forums

88 FLHTC Won't stop cranking - solenoid change

TonyD

Got an 88 FLHTC. When I replaced the solenoid the bike would crank but wouldn't stop when I let go of the starter button. Long story short, I ground off 1/16" from the solenoid shaft that goes into the plunger and it worked. Since there are no adjustments to be made in this area I can't for the life of me understand why this problem surfaced. I bough tthe bike used but all the parts in the primary are OEM. Can you suggest what the core cause may be?

I had the same exact problem on an 81 Superglide FXE that I bought with the problem known by the previous owner for a bargain price because he couldn't figure it out. I pulled the starter off 3 times and checked it with jumper cables and while it was off the bike, it worked fine. Checked the innerds & cleaned everything up, reinstalled and...darn! Still doing the same thing. After really close investigation I found it was a $1.75 insulator on the starter post. Doesn't make sense but it was cracked and allowing the post to contact the case when the starter engaged. You'd think it would have caused a light show but it just kept the starter engaged (even with the switch off) untill the circuit breaker tripped. Fixed it and drove that old shovel for years with no further starter problems.

Don't know for sure, but the beveled fiber insulator on the solenoid plunger on my newer model Sporty had a distinct wear pattern, would imagine a few more years of use would make it move in 1/8 to 1/4" more, since I see no limiting stop for the pin.:33:

Back