free website stats program 88" counter balance failure | Harley Davidson Forums

88" counter balance failure

A friend of mine has an 05 Fat boy that developed a strange howle while descending Mt. Washington during Laconia bike week.As he does not have a computer he asked if I could dig up any helpful info.Its been at the dealers for 2 weeks now and they're finaly telling him his counter balancer has failed and it would make more sense to have the engine remaned through Harley for the short fee of $4000.00.
The bike only has 10k on it and of course no warrenty.I ride with this guy alot and will attest that he doesnt beet on his bike.A nyone else expierienced a counter balance failure and if so what action did you take to fix it?
Ive already told him to contact the area rep from HD, but dont see them helping with this.

if the counter balancer failed it shoudl have gernaded the engine .. know if ti jumped TIME on the balancer they will howl and shake like crazy .. more than likely if it ran ok he need balancer bearings chains and tensioners.. as long as it didnt take out the oil pump or pump a bunch of metal though engine that is

Bearings do go bad and the drive sprocket for that setup is pressed on to the shaft and it can go out of timing too.

Thanks guys.He's in a little pickle, sounds like it needs to be torn down further to see exactly what damage was done.The problem is he doesnt have the 4k if they go that far and determine the motor is junk.
Is it just me or is a bearing failure of this magnitude at 10,000 miles something the MOCO should help him out with?

They should but they wont ... if he is mechanically inclined tear ti down himself not to hard to get to balancers to check out if they are in time .. or bearings or tensioners went

Back