free website stats program 87 heratage sofail not getting fire | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

87 heratage sofail not getting fire

Are you talking about Mallory Uni-Lite. There should be 3 wires coming from the module.
The Red goes to the battery side of the coil(+ side). The Green, trigger wire, goes to the other side of the coil(- side). The Brown goes to a good ground, i.e. battery neg. side or frame ground. If it were to be hooked up wrong then it is Toast. I believe you can test by placing your VOM red lead to the battery side of the coil. Turn Key on, but don't start the bike. With a credit or business card place it between the 2 LED lights on the module. The voltage should drop from 12Vdc to 2 Vdc or less. If it is more than 2 Vdc then the unit is bad.
tourbox
How to test a Mallory Ignition System for Harley Davidson - YouTube Here is a you tube video showing exactly what Ray is talking about. You need to be sure you have the correct coil for sure, also Mallory has been bought out by Accel as far as I can tell

Assuming the unit is still in the nose cone, do the following.
Take the cover off and you will see the plate holding the unit in place. Take scribe,pic,etc. and make a mark on the plate to the nose cone. This will keep your timing correct when placing the plate back.
At 3 & 9 o'clock are 2 stantion screws holding the plate in place. Then use a flat blade screw driver, remove them and pull the plate out. The lights talked about in the video are on the back side of the plate Now you can place the business card between the lights to check you the Voltage drop I spoke of earlier. The black rotor cup in the video is behind the plate and is held in place with the center bolt which screws into the end of the cam. I don't remember if the hole in the plate is large enough the clear that bolt, normally they are. If not then a 9/16 wrench will remove it. If you have to take it out it is a small diameter shaft and doesn't take much torque when reinstalling. If tightened to much it will break off in the Cam shaft. Don't ask how I know this(lol).
Let us know how you are coming along.
tourbox

thanks so much that was the problem I went to my local auto parts store and they had another Mallory uni light just like what was in my bike I put in same place as other my bike runs now but hard to start and back fires thru carb a lot but it is running

or could it be carb I cleaned it but bike has been sitting for over a year and front cyl doesn't seem to be running as good as back

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=874943315853922&set=vb.100000147855240&type=2&theater

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks so much that was the problem I went to my local auto parts store and they had another Mallory uni light just like what was in my bike I put in same place as other my bike runs now but hard to start and back fires thru carb a lot but it is running

or could it be carb I cleaned it but bike has been sitting for over a year and front cyl doesn't seem to be running as good as back

Have you checked the timing?

From it back firing a lot, it sounds like it is getting the spark at the wrong time... I'd just confirm the timing too.

Back