free website stats program 87 fxrs oil filter mount | Harley Davidson Forums

87 fxrs oil filter mount

Apyle

I went to change the oil in my 87 fxrs and the oil filter mount wiggles. I can't seem to see what it is connected to. It kinda looks like it connects to the transmission housing. But I don't see any hardware attaching it.

If it's the same as my 86, the mount is bolted to a plate under the starter motor. It attaches from above, so you'll have to take out the starter motor to get to the bolt. Mine came loose a few years ago, and I tightened it to the torque setting "tighten the bejeezes out of it." Haven't had a problem since.

Mine came loose a couple times, even with red loctite. I ended up tac welding the bolt, no problems after that! You have to remove the starter or take the rear tire off to get to it.:small3d012:

If it's the same as my 86, the mount is bolted to a plate under the starter motor. It attaches from above, so you'll have to take out the starter motor to get to the bolt. Mine came loose a few years ago, and I tightened it to the torque setting "tighten the bejeezes out of it." Haven't had a problem since.

I prefer the "tighten until it strips, then back off a half turn" torque spec. :bigsmiley20:

I discovered that you can get to it by unbolting the side plate where the ignition module mounts and taking off the horn. Then there is enough room to get a gearwrench on it.

Back