free website stats program 87 1100 carb trouble. | Harley Davidson Forums

87 1100 carb trouble.

james013168

I bought my first Harley last month and I'm having alot of trouble with it. I carb leaks gas everytime the bike sits still. I don't know anything about these carbs so could someone help me with it? It has an S & S air cleaner on it but nothing about S & S on the carb. I did find it says Harley Davidson on the side of the carb and has these # on top: -0712, 27502 86B. Can someone tell me what carb this is?

I have absolutely no expertise on this but maybe a picture or two of the carb and maybe an idea where it is leaking from??

Did you get any history on the scoot when you bought it?? I am sure there are gaskets and seals that if they havent been replaced in a long time could need replaced if the bike has sat for long periods.

I'm sure there will be ample amounts of ideas and knowledge come through from the guys who are much smarter than I.....

Later,
2002SilverSurfer

Heres a pic of my carb., hope this works.

Heres another pic, hope these help.

Attachments

• S5001405.JPG
    S5001405.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 46
  • S5001408.JPG
    S5001408.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for the site Glider, that looks just like my carb. I'm glad I found this site, I may need more help as I rebuild my bike this winter.

I took my carb off and I can't find anything about S & S on it. It says Harley Davidson on the side and has part numbers on it, when I typed the part numbers into S & S site, it found nothing but when I typed it into a Harley site it came up with a carb. I can't figure out what rebuild kit to get for it. Heres some better pic sence I took the carb off.

Attachments

• S5001414.JPG
    S5001414.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 51
  • S5001415.JPG
    S5001415.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 27
  • S5001418.JPG
    S5001418.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 23
That's Kehin butterfly carb used until 88 on the XLs.Where is it leaking from?Go to a shop that you trust and ask for a rebuild kit for a stock carb for your '87 1100.Or ask them to repair the carb.When you reinstall the carb be sure to use blue loctite on the air cleaner mounting screws.One more time,when you reinstall the carb be sure to use blue loctite on the air cleaner mounting screws.Ok? :D

yea, thats a old style keihin..... they are simple, here you go, call Jireh cycles 877-681-0448, part number 39-309, its a whopping 8.99, buy two cans of good carb cleaner, Completely disassemble the carb and clean everything, If you get confused, Im sure you will be able to find a diagram of the carb if you google it,

Thank you guys for your help. I found a repair book download on here and it has the carb in it so I printed out the pages and took the carb apart and cleaned it all out. It was gummed up here and there but everything looked in good shape. If it still leaks, I will rebuild it.

Back