free website stats program 85 FXR Top End Rebuild? | Harley Davidson Forums

85 FXR Top End Rebuild?

Blackout85

I have a 85 FXR(50,000 miles on odometer) that I was trying to do a top end rebuild on because I purchased the bike from craigslist with no maintenance docs, and I have some oil leaking from the bottom of the heads and it looks like I am getting a fair about of unburnt oil build up in the pipes. I got the front cylinder off with no issues, but I cannot reach the rear rocker bolts without seperating the engine from the tranny case. What is the proper procedure for this? Are there any problems to look for while doing this? I do not have a manual but I have completed a top end rebuild on my sportster without one. Looking for the easiset way to do the job without screwing anything up. I have removed the engine mounts without messing with the adjustments as I think that could cause issues with it being rubber mounted and all. Any and all suggestions are welcomed. New to the forum and looking forward to the help. Thanks in advance.

Way back in my dusty brain I remember the FXR rocker box removal problem. You need to cut down an Allen wrench, then I THINK you need to disconnect the stabilizer link next to the front motor mount so the engine can be moved away from the backbone a little. If I'm incorrect, I'll try and remember more as I get going today. Maybe undo front motor mount so engine can drop down a bit? Gad, it's dusty back here!

Last edited:
Way back in my dusty brain I remember the FXR rocker box removal problem. You need to cut down an Allen wrench, then I THINK you need to disconnect the stabilizer link next to the front motor mount so the engine can be moved away from the backbone a little. If I'm incorrect, I'll try and remember more as I get going today. Maybe undo front motor mount so engine can drop down a bit? Gad, it's dusty back here!

I found this posted elsewhere on the www.
The manual tells us the procedure, step 12: Remove large center bolt from front engine mount. step 13: Remove bolt ftom outer end of front stabilizer. step 14: Remove both front engine mount bolts and remove front engine mounting plate with stabilizer. And even after dropping the front of the motor, it's still tight getting in there.

Thanks guys! I tried to cut down an allen wrench but I still could not get the rocker off once the bolts were loosened. So I went ahead and followed the engine mount removal method being careful to not adjust the rubber mounts. I had a jack under the engine as well to slowly lower the motor. This worked very well and was really pretty easy. I found James gaskets, Dynatec Ignition, adjustable pushrods, and an Andrews cam! Looks like somebody has upgraded the motor a little...Thanks for the help guys!!! I am going to start another thread asking how to tell what cam you have as I can't see any marks on the cam other than Andrews being stamped in.

Back