free website stats program 85 fat bob no start??? no go?? | Harley Davidson Forums

85 fat bob no start??? no go??

fatbob85

what did I do wrong??

I had an issue with my bike starting and I replaced the bendex and I also replaced it and my solenoid to be on the safe side. While I was replacing the bendex I also adjusted the primary chain because it was very loose.

anyway I put it all back together.... My problem now is it don't want to start... not even a
(EDIT) ! It has gas?? there is spark to the plugs?? Could it be that I spun it out of timing? any suggestions on what I did wrong?

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Need more info, you could not have affected the timing unless you were inside the nose cone, are you sure you have spark with the kill switch in the run position?

I was having electrical problems before i got into replacing the bendex my main circuit was faulty my lights were flickering and that eliminated the flickering but it still wouldn’t start.

I have it at my buddy’s house he tried to start it two days later before I did the bendex work and it started but he couldn’t keep it running . The battery is fully charged it cranks but it don’t start. I am getting spark to the plugs and getting gas as well?

OK, look at the wires coming out of the cone first follow them to the coil, make sure they are not pinched or rubbed through, next take of air cleaner and filter, grab a fire extinguisher, use a spray bottle of gas give it a couple shots in the throat of the carb fire it up keep spraying the gas to try to eliminate a carb problem and check back in Seems to me these were notorious for control module problems

Thanks I will try it out..! I will keep you in the loop!
WAP.gif

I did what you said it did start but it sounded off...
WAP.gif

OK, look at the wires coming out of the cone first follow them to the coil, make sure they are not pinched or rubbed through, next take of air cleaner and filter, grab a fire extinguisher, use a spray bottle of gas give it a couple shots in the throat of the carb fire it up keep spraying the gas to try to eliminate a carb problem and check back in Seems to me these were notorious for control module problems
WAP.gif

Captain Jack, I did what you said but instead of gas I used Cab. Starter Fluid. It did start, but very bad I need to keep the choke on and full throttle to say running as so as I let it got it died! Like it was out of timing... did more investigating we saw that the front cylinder was blowing white smoke and the back cylinder was blowing flames...

Do I have an intake valve problem? tell me I’m wrong?? And if I’m right, and I’m wrench savvy is it hard to do?

Captain Jack, I did what you said but instead of gas I used Cab. Starter Fluid. It did start, but very bad I need to keep the choke on and full throttle to say running as so as I let it got it died! Like it was out of timing... did more investigating we saw that the front cylinder was blowing white smoke and the back cylinder was blowing flames...

Do I have an intake valve problem? tell me I’m wrong?? And if I’m right, and I’m wrench savvy is it hard to do?

Re think your starter work, what all did you remove I E wires and grounds, how did it run before you worked on the starter, and could you maybe have wires crossed ? This would cause it to be out of time

The bike was running fine before and after I pulled the starter out.

I finally have the bike with me so I can mess with it.

I will go through all of my wiring,

I am going to check the compression as well.

any other suggestions ?

The bike was running fine before and after I pulled the starter out.

I finally have the bike with me so I can mess with it.

I will go through all of my wiring,

I am going to check the compression as well.

any other suggestions ?

Last time the bike ran before the starter incident did it run good? You may have a bad lifter do the compression test and check back:s Do you have adjustable push rods?

it ran good before the starter work. I had an incident back in June and the bike shop that was fixing it, did a tune-up.. "Me" thinking it was done by a professional took there word from the get go i was being told that riders behind me were getting a good whiff of gas and it smoked a little not thinking much of it other than adjusting the fuel mixture. after about 600 mile I checked the plugs these morons gapped them at .30 and there suppose to be at .38-.43... after that my plugs were a nice tannish brown and ran great. but I started to puke from the breather when starting the bike... any relation to my problem now?

Do I have adjustable lift rods ? I don’t think so but I will check.

Back