84 rewiring

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by 60panhead, Jan 4, 2010.

1. 60panhead

60panhead New Member

Hello, I'm the new dude, I have an 84 FLH with some wiring issues that I have pieced together over the years and am going to address once and for all. Should I just do a simple rewire, or get a factory style harness and do an OEM wire job? The short cut would be alot easier, but with the handlebar controles and lights and such the OEM harness might be a better way to go. What do ya think?
  2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I would go with a High Quality pre-wired harness. It is a pretty big job and to really do it right you need high quality tools/ crimp ends/ plugs & sockets and pre tinned, high density stranded wire which you won't find everywhere.
  3. bikerdad

bikerdad Junior Member

I do electrical work for a living and have all the tools, wire, and resources necessary to wire a bike. With this said, I would still buy a factory harness. The job would come out neater and more reliable. Intermittant electrical problems down the road will make you crazy.
  4. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

built wrecked bikes much nicer go w/ oem harness.....
  5. Drumrguy

Drumrguy Account Removed

I don't think that if you built your own harness you would have any problems, I build mine and never have any problems, but the nice thing about a complete wire harness is it has the turn signal cancellation built into it and also some of them have a function for trouble shooting. A really really nice quality one is a Thunderheart system, you could also go on Jireh Cycles and get there harness, I did one from them for a friend on his bike and it was actually a nice unit. And I think it was around 150.00.