free website stats program 83 Roadster clutch problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

83 Roadster clutch problem

Just a follow-up on the clutch problem..I took it to the Indy ( they put in a new clutch 300 or so miles ago)...No charge ...But, they said it was only that the cable at the clutch lever popped out...they popped it back in and adjusted the cable...I brought it home. Son in law drove it about 12 miles and it did it again...Level just flopping...clutch like it was pulled all the way 'out'....
It's an 83 Roadster...It has a round access plug/plate that screws in ( large slot to remove it)...sort of hollow on the inside of that access 'plug'...Removed, I can see the Nut and the slotted shaft to do a clutch adjustment ( not cable adjustment)....Here's the thing...I don't have a wide slotted tool to start to remove that plug so I put a screwdriver at the top and gave it a shot with a hammer to start to unscrew it..WHen I tapped it, the clutch snapped back inside...could hear it...everything seemed back to normal...In looking at the inside of that plug, I could see a tiny 'gouge' ..felt the corners of the nut and could feel a little sharpness..I think the clutch adjustment nut was getting caught on the inside of that 'plug'....I took a dremel tool /with a sanding drum, and removed metal on the inside of that plug..All the way around the inside and even put a little bevel on it..Cleaned it all up to remove the metal dust and reinstalled it..Drove the bike home ( 12 or so miles, seems ok.......but??

Check to see that nut is tight and not backing out:s

Jack. Good suggestion and I will do that now that the bike is back. It did seem snug but I'll check now that I'm home and have tools to do so..( We did the above ( previous post) on the side of the road with just tools I had in my tool pouch. We're leaving for Lake George,NY, ( Americade) next week so I want to run the bike around here before heading to NY.

Jack. Good suggestion and I will do that now that the bike is back. It did seem snug but I'll check now that I'm home and have tools to do so..( We did the above ( previous post) on the side of the road with just tools I had in my tool pouch. We're leaving for Lake George,NY, ( Americade) next week so I want to run the bike around here before heading to NY.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes:s

Back