free website stats program 83 Roadster clutch problem | Harley Davidson Forums

83 Roadster clutch problem

alto

I thought I'd post a question to Bubbie, Glider and other techs who have provided such great advice and problem -solving info.
I turned my 83 Roadster over to my son in law..The bike sat for 15 or so years..Little by little, we've replaced/rebuild things and it runs great now..The problem..At the end of last season, the clutch went ...We had a local Indy replace the entire clutch assembly.. Maybe 300 miles ago. They were closed today but I have an appointment for tomorrow morning ( trailer it down to the Indy). I'm curious as to what you all think may have gone wrong. Was running, shifting great..He came to a stop sign, pulled in the clutch and it stayed 'disengaged' ..It's 'stuck' in disengage. I didn't want to mess with it because if it did snap back, I'd not know what caused it and therefore, wouldn't trust that it won't happen again ( we're taking the bikes to Lake George /Americade next week.
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks Boss!. I knew you'd be lurking here ( and everywhere! ;o) )
I really hope it's the cable. Would be nice if it's a fairly easy ( and relatively inexpensive) fix..I'll know what the Indy finds tomorrow but, I really respect and trust the people here to just know things that are Way over my head.

I find myself in that rather awkward position of not being a real mechanic to do things other than changing fluids etc and, being too poor enough ( lately) to send it to 'the man'. Times like this, I have no choice but to send it out to be looked at. Somehow, not knowing what's in there, I picture a hood spring from a '41 Buick Roadmaster in there, ready to let loose and take my eye out.:D

I find myself in that rather awkward position of not being a real mechanic to do things other than changing fluids etc and, being too poor enough ( lately) to send it to 'the man'. Times like this, I have no choice but to send it out to be looked at. Somehow, not knowing what's in there, I picture a hood spring from a '41 Buick Roadmaster in there, ready to let loose and take my eye out.:D
Hopefully it is just Stuck...It was working okay for a good length of time THEN stayed PULLED?

I go along with a "Needed to be lubed" cable.. Hopefully:D

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie..Yes, it was working fine...About 50 or so miles that day...He pulled in the clutch at a stop sign and it just stayed dis-engaged. I'm about ready to trailer it to the Indy who installed the new clutch assembly at the end of last season. I didn't want to try anything because I'm not enough of a mechanic to know what happened if, for some reason, the clutch engaged. I'd rather have a pro see it as it is, fix/replace what failed. My father always told me ' Everyone is smart, it just depends on what we're talking about".. So true. When it comes to mechanics, I know just enough to get myself in trouble. Basically, I'm a tool box owner. I'm also a hammer-owner, but not a carpenter.

I left it off at the Indy shop this morning. I'll post what they find when they locate and fix the problem. Thanks all for the info. I learn from this site and appreciate the fellowship.

Your problem is probably tied in to sitting for too long, the clutch release mechanism needs to be worked some, I would be looking close at the cable and think about replacing it and lube it up good even over night JMO:s

Just a follow-up on the clutch problem..I took it to the Indy ( they put in a new clutch 300 or so miles ago)...No charge ...But, they said it was only that the cable at the clutch lever popped out...they popped it back in and adjusted the cable...I brought it home. Son in law drove it about 12 miles and it did it again...Level just flopping...clutch like it was pulled all the way 'out'....
It's an 83 Roadster...It has a round access plug/plate that screws in ( large slot to remove it)...sort of hollow on the inside of that access 'plug'...Removed, I can see the Nut and the slotted shaft to do a clutch adjustment ( not cable adjustment)....Here's the thing...I don't have a wide slotted tool to start to remove that plug so I put a screwdriver at the top and gave it a shot with a hammer to start to unscrew it..WHen I tapped it, the clutch snapped back inside...could hear it...everything seemed back to normal...In looking at the inside of that plug, I could see a tiny 'gouge' ..felt the corners of the nut and could feel a little sharpness..I think the clutch adjustment nut was getting caught on the inside of that 'plug'....I took a dremel tool /with a sanding drum, and removed metal on the inside of that plug..All the way around the inside and even put a little bevel on it..Cleaned it all up to remove the metal dust and reinstalled it..Drove the bike home ( 12 or so miles, seems ok.......but??

Back